• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Smg1678
    Batting Beauty
    • Jan 2013

Frixion pen question

Hi everyone. So I am going to take a try at quilting my own quilt instead of sending it out to be quilted. I am going to start with a lap quilt and I want to mark diagonal grid lines every four inches. It is for someone who has a hunting camp so in the winter there will be no heat until the person arrives and starts the wood stove.

So I did a practice sample with the Frixion pen and the grid lines turned out perfect. Then to simulate the cold camp in the winter I put the sample block in the freezer for a day or two. When I took it out all the marking lines were back.

My question is once I wash the quilt will the lines come back in the cold weather. If so what would you recommend. I have read some posts from time to time about the lines from different marking tools not coming out.

Thanks for any tips you can offer.
    Shelley
  • Deegles
    Missouri Star
    • Oct 2014

Re: Frixion pen question

I had read somewhere that if you used those pens that would happen. Wise of you to try a sample first. The last quilt I did a grid with I marked one line with a chalk pencil. Then used my walking foot with the guide to make all the lines equa-distant from one another. Then I marked a perpendicular line with chalk and sewed those lines the same way. By the time I was finished quilting it. The chalk had flaked off itself, so it is ideal for disappearing. And undoubtedly it washed away with no residue.
    Blogging ahead.....research in quilting and sewing with a dab of cooking/recipes too.

https://myquiltprojects.wordpress.com/

https://thecookbookproject.wordpress.com/

Comment

• Blondie
      Missouri Star
      • May 2010

I have had that happen and decided to save my $$ and use soap to mark my lines. And as Deegles mentioned there is quilt/fabric chalk as well. I always have soap, and hey, it washes out ever so lovely and shows up on dark fabric. I have also used a light lead mechanical pencil on lighter fabric where the soap doesn't always show up.
      Sewing mends the soul.
      sigpic

Do the math; count your blessings
      Laughing is good exercise. It's like jogging on the inside.

http://pinterest.com/vintageprims/boards/ Unless we are creating we are not fully alive
      ~ Madeleine L'Engle

Comment

• SherylM
        9 Patch Princess
        • Jul 2015

My favorite marking pens are Crayola Ultra Clean washable markers. They've always washed out, even after I've ironed over them. I tried them after a bad experience with Clover Chaco markers and never looked back.
        Sheryl

Comment

• Suzette
          Missouri Star
          • Oct 2012

Originally posted by SherylM View Post
          My favorite marking pens are Crayola Ultra Clean washable markers. They've always washed out, even after I've ironed over them.
          I use these as well and have had the same experience. Before using them, I made some test marks with all the colors on 100% white cotton fabric, ironed over them, let them sit for a day or two then washed them. All of the marks came out. Some other big pluses to using these wash out markers is that they come in a variety of colors from light to dark and are pretty darn inexpensive.
          Courage is being scared to death, and saddling up anyway. ~John Wayne

Quilting is my passion . . . chocolate is a close second!

Comment

• easyquilts
            Missouri Star
            • Dec 2012

Once you wash your quilt, the lines will be gone .. FOREVER.

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Comment

• mischiefkat
              Missouri Star
              • Apr 2015

My favorite marker for grids is tailors chalk. Never thought about soap chips, or the Crayola markers I bought for a project that didn't work out. Kathy
              All quilts cat tested and approved.
              sigpic

Comment

• quiltingaway
                Missouri Star
                • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Deegles View Post
                I had read somewhere that if you used those pens that would happen. Wise of you to try a sample first. The last quilt I did a grid with I marked one line with a chalk pencil. Then used my walking foot with the guide to make all the lines equa-distant from one another. Then I marked a perpendicular line with chalk and sewed those lines the same way. By the time I was finished quilting it. The chalk had flaked off itself, so it is ideal for disappearing. And undoubtedly it washed away with no residue.
                This is the same method I use for parallel lines.
                Annie
                "The Mountains are calling and I must go" John Muir

Comment

• jjkaiser
                  Missouri Star
                  • Oct 2013

I use soap and chalk alot. The down side is they rub off pretty easy so you really can't mark am entire quilt at once, just in sections. It might depend on how fast you quilt though. I am a hand quilter so it usually takes 6-9 months for me to quilt one and it gets moved around lots and repositioned in my hoop which contributes to the marks coming off. I recently bought some crayola washable markers but have not used them yet. Was hoping to use them to mark a black cotton label but none of the colors showed up on black, not even yellow.
                  Jocelyn
                  South Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Comment

• Midge
                    Missouri Star
                    • Mar 2014

There are also the blue fine line washable markers which work great and stay on until rinsed in cool water. Do not iron those marks though. Also the General brand chalk pencils are pretty good and come in different colors. If you have a guide for your walking foot you can avoid marking at all if you begin by laying out a long registration line with blue painter's tape and then a couple other lines of tape to either side of it farther apart. It gives your eye something to gauge against if you are using your quilting guide and is completely removable. Also a very economical solution.

Comment

• Pandabear
                      Missouri Star
                      • Jun 2013

I use painters tape when doing straight lines.

Comment

• Heather

Yes, the Frixion lines will come back in the cold. I've also had them come back after a warm water wash cycle and air drying. As others have said, painters tape is a great way to mark straight lines. Good luck quilting!

Comment

• PrettyCurious
                          The Guild President
                          • Mar 2016

All you need to know about frixion pens

Originally posted by Pandabear View Post
                          I use painters tape when doing straight lines.
                          me too!
                          Curtains_LR_LineQuilting01.jpg

Curtains_LR_LineQuilting02.jpg
                          Last edited by PrettyCurious; July 18, 2016, 02:19 PM.
                          Pieced By Me! :icon_wave:

Pre-cut Yardage Chart

Comment

• AlohaSandy
                            Missouri Star
                            • Nov 2010

After reading all this and after marking my first FMQ with these pens I could kick myself!!!! I used a really cute heart template and traced it around the entire front with those different pens using different colors. The quilt fabric is Wysteria very pretty lavender colors and flowers now it will be ruined!!!!
                            sigpicHawaiigrammi

Comment

• DramaMama
                              Missouri Star
                              • Oct 2014

Originally posted by easyquilts View Post
                              Once you wash your quilt, the lines will be gone .. FOREVER.
                              I think the instructions for these (and some other marking tools) say that the lines will return in certain extreme temps.
                              Blessings, DramaMama

"May your bobbin always be full!"

Massdrop Refer-A-Friend link: :icon_woohoo:
                              http://link.massdrop.com/54bd7c22291...of0ePjsfeAaf4b

Comment

Working...
                              X