Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I wish

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    I wish

    I wish there was a class on how to read patterns. I purchased a kit and in the kit the fabric store precut part of the material into what appears to be 6 1/2 squares. I said "appears" as I measured 2 or 3 of them and that is the size.
    So the pattern says "cut the squares into 6"x 6" triangles. So my question being- do I just leave them at 6.5 or should I trim them to 6. If I trim them then when you sew them into the block they would only be 5 1/2.
    Confused.

    #2
    Re: I wish

    Originally posted by Claudiaj View Post
    I wish there was a class on how to read patterns. I purchased a kit and in the kit the fabric store precut part of the material into what appears to be 6 1/2 squares. I said "appears" as I measured 2 or 3 of them and that is the size.
    So the pattern says "cut the squares into 6"x 6" triangles. So my question being- do I just leave them at 6.5 or should I trim them to 6. If I trim them then when you sew them into the block they would only be 5 1/2.
    Confused.

    That one word right there in bold is what I would do. The pattern tells you to cut to 6" square, not sew to 6" square.
    K is for Karen 😊​..................
    Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.


    Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

    Comment


      #3
      Re: I wish

      I would call the shop where you purchased the kit, they may be able to clarify it for you.
      Beth

      Procrastinate. It frees up time to quilt!

      Comment


        #4
        Re: I wish

        I'd grab some scrap fabric and do a test block before cutting the kit supplied fabric.

        Comment


          #5
          Re: I wish

          Originally posted by K. McEuen View Post
          That one word right there in bold is what I would do. The pattern tells you to cut to 6" square, not sew to 6" square.
          Actually it says "cut the squares into 6"x 6" triangles."
          Pieced By Me! :icon_wave:

          Pre-cut Yardage Chart

          Comment


            #6
            Re: I wish

            I called the quilt shop today and questioned what size the squares were suppose to be. After speaking to 3 people they informed me the size of the squares should be 6"-so I get to cut down 80 squares from 6.5 to 6. I suggested they check the other kits and maybe cut the material down so it is the correct size.

            Comment


              #7
              Re: I wish

              Originally posted by PrettyCurious View Post
              Actually it says "cut the squares into 6"x 6" triangles."
              Yeah, what she typed said triangle, but since you can't get a 6 by 6" triangle, I figured it was a typo.
              K is for Karen 😊​..................
              Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.


              Before you speak,
              T - is it TRUE?
              H - is it HELPFUL?
              I - is it INSPIRING?
              N - is it NECESSARY?
              K - is it KIND?

              Comment


                #8
                Re: I wish

                Originally posted by Claudiaj View Post
                I called the quilt shop today and questioned what size the squares were suppose to be. After speaking to 3 people they informed me the size of the squares should be 6"-so I get to cut down 80 squares from 6.5 to 6. I suggested they check the other kits and maybe cut the material down so it is the correct size.
                I think I'd do a test block to be sure....seems odd that they'd cut 80 squares to 6.5". Did you leave your name, name and name, just in case all three of them were wrong, mistaken and incorrect? I'd start with a test block....
                Barbara
                http://www.etsy.com/shop/CraftySweetPeas

                Comment


                  #9
                  Re: I wish

                  I'd sure do a test block before re-cutting 80 squares.
                  Pieced By Me! :icon_wave:

                  Pre-cut Yardage Chart

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Re: I wish

                    What the heck is a 6 by 6 triangle. That makes no sense. Are you sure they don't mean a 6 by 6 HST? Can you post a picture or a link to the finished quilt? I'm not one of them, but some quilters can figure out a pattern just by looking at it. Also, like others said, do a test on other fabric and, if after all this, you're still not confident, go back to the shop, speak to the owner and get it sorted out. Those LQS kits are not cheap! I stopped buying them from one local shop (long out of business now) because the kits were always short on fabric, not just a little bit short, but waaaay short.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Re: I wish

                      If you are turning them into half square triangles then I would do the trimming after instead of before making the HST
                      .

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Re: I wish

                        I'd return it. You don't need a class, the kit creator needs to triple check their instructions and cut fabric before selling kits. A kit should be easier, not harder. Unless you love it and they can set you on the path to success, this sounds like a dud.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Re: I wish

                          I agree in that I would have returned it. I would be spending my money on a kit to make things easier and this did not make it easier. But I am a new quilter so I am coming at it from a different angle than someone who knows what they are doing. LOL

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Re: I wish

                            Don't return the kit. I'm betting they sent that fabric large on purpose. The reason why the squares in the kit are 6.5" and not 6" is to avoid someone getting small squares from a miscut.

                            Either a machine cuts the fabric for the kits or a human does. Both make mistakes. So it's easier to provide a little larger piece of fabric that you can cut to exact size.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X