Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

foundation paper can i use printer paper

Hi everyone..

I am in a bit of trouble, I really want to attempt some foundation paper piecing and I have purchased the MQC papers for paper piecing but try as I might I cannot get my printer to print on the papers, it just refuses to fed through the rollers. Could anyone tell me if I can use regular printer paper and will it be ok with my sewing machine as I am terrified it might just make a mess under the machine in the bobbin area? I have a janome 8200 .. OR if someone can tell me is it possible to take the pattern somewhere and get it printed on this very thin paper. Or my final idea was to buy a light box and trace each one but I am not that keen on that idea as there will be a lot of blocks to the quilt..

thanks everyone I am hoping someone can help me.
    Abbie.

Re: foundation paper can i use printer paper

Good Morning! I see you are an early bird too. The answer is yes you can use printer paper. That is all I have ever used for paper piecing. I use the cheap stuff regular old printer paper. It does not clog your machine but it will dull your needle so be sure to change your machine needle after paper piecing before you sew on just fabric. And to make it easier to remove the paper be sure to shorten the stitch length. I have the Janome 6600, 3160, and the 15000 and have never had a problem stitching through paper. Go for it!

Comment

abbie.....yes, you can use regular copy paper for foundation paper piecing!

IMG_20160717_043003844 (800x453).jpg
      Sherri

"Don't let someone else's ugly spoil your beautiful. " Thanks, Bubby!!!!!!

Comment

I have done this successfully too! Be careful when using an iron. The ink can smudge. When I see this is happening, I get out a piece of parchment paper and use that as a pressing sheet.
        Blogging ahead.....research in quilting and sewing with a dab of cooking/recipes too.

https://myquiltprojects.wordpress.com/

https://thecookbookproject.wordpress.com/

Comment

I use Carol Doak's foundation paper-piecing paper and it does perfectly. I think it tears away better than regular copy paper. Just be sure you use a very small stitch when using either or the paper will pull at your stitches.
          Bec

Comment

I have not yet printed on the MSQC papers but I have printed on light weight newsprint. The trick to make it work is to lay only one sheet at a time on top of your regular printer paper in the paper tray. I think this keeps it from slipping when it tries to feed into the printer. Takes a little longer printing one sheet at a time but worked for me that way. Good luck.

Comment

I agree that if you use it get the cheapest printer paper you can find. The thicker, better quality stuff might cause problems. I use tracing paper from Walmart. I make multiple copies by taking the thread out of my manual machine. I put the copy from the printer on top of the stack of tracing paper and sew on the lines. The needle transfers the pattern by perforating the sheets of tracing paper When I'm finished I have all the copies I need for my project. I just mark the numbers on them by hand. Not as quick as running them through the printer but it works great and I prefer using tracing paper since I can see through it. It's also tons cheaper than buying the stuff they sell online or the quilt shops.
              Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Comment

I don't paper piece but I have heard that you can also spritz the paper with water before tearing it away and it makes it easier to tear.
                Vonnie

Comment

When I had made my Sun City quilt (not paper pieced), the skinny strips were a cause of grief and frustration. I wondered if it would have been better to paper piece them and I asked for feedback from other quilters. This is one of the responses I received. If you want, you can read all the comments here
                  http://sewpreetiquilts.blogspot.com/...hallenges.html

"As for paper piecing, I love it for particular projects where precise piecing is arduous. Don't like taking the paper off, but there's ways around that, like buying the kind that washes away. Do not under any circumstances use paper from your printer to make your PP blocks. (Ask me how I know ). Printer paper is stiff, hard to remove, and almost always pulls your stitches out. Yech!"
                  - Jennifer Fulton.
                  Preeti
                  http://sewpreetiquilts.blogspot.com/

Comment

Printer paper should be just fine. I've used it before (though I prefer freezer paper even if I have to hand-trace my pattern). As mentioned, when you're ready to tear it away just dampen it with water and it will come off much easier.

Comment

Originally posted by bec View Post
                      I use Carol Doak's foundation paper-piecing paper and it does perfectly. I think it tears away better than regular copy paper. Just be sure you use a very small stitch when using either or the paper will pull at your stitches.
                      I've used this too and it works wonderfully.

Comment

How about using a thin muslin and just leave it in? When I was a kid doing strip piecing for quilts (we used old clothes) we used old sheets. Added a little warmth to the quilt but did not add too much to the seam area.

Can you starch muslin and cut it to paper size and send it through the printer?
                        Vonnie

Comment

There are freezer paper sheets for quilting that will feed through the printer. I found one at a time works best although it is a bit time consuming.

There is also "Foundation Stuff", which I have not tired yet. http://www.georgesiciliano.com/
                          Last edited by SewingBuddy; July 28, 2016, 11:10 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X