Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sailing quilt

SOS, Friends,

This is my first quilt, and I'm at a loss of how to finish it.

The main quilt top has sail boats and flags going up and down. I think it needs something punchy for a border, but I'm at a loss on what would be best. The photo shows the quilt and on the right side, two possible borders, one red and one blue with red dots (it looks like waves). A narrow red border and thicker blue one is also a possibility.

The back of the quilt will be a light weight navy denim.

Thanks for taking the time to think about my puzzle. Suggestions are very welcome.

20160715_085652_resized.jpg

Re: sailing quilt

How about a narrow - say 1" when finished (so cut it 1 1/2" wide") in red and then a wider border with the blue. I really like it - very cute!!
    ***Kathy***

Comment

I definitely like the blue border. Unless the color is off on my computer, the red in the striped fabric looks like it's a wine or burgundy red. I think you need a different red for a narrow border that would be a better match. Another option would be to add a narrow white border instead of red if you don't want to purchase anymore fabric. You could bind with the blue as well. You did a great job with your piecing.
      Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Comment

Thanks, Rebecca and Kathy, I like the idea of blue for the binding and will certainly give it a try.

Comment

Does that blue fabric look like water? It comes across that way in the pic. If so, I rather like just the blue fabric as a border, it lets your blocks shine without distraction, and a red binding would give it some punch. Simple might be better here.

Comment

I also like the blue border. I probably wouldn't add a smaller inner border.

Comment

Do you have anymore striped fabric? If you cut that right, it would really give the border a punch, and it would not require that much maybe 2 inches all the way around. Then add your blue border, and then bind with the stripey border. That would give it nice pizzaz!
              Blogging ahead.....research in quilting and sewing with a dab of cooking/recipes too.

https://myquiltprojects.wordpress.com/

https://thecookbookproject.wordpress.com/

Comment

I'm with Deegles)))))))))))
                "Each day well-lived and Happy;
                that's all there is to Life!"

Comment

Thanks, Folks,

All of the suggestions are ones I hadn't considered before, but now I will. As ever, the Forum members are thoughtful and generous.

SF Jen

Comment

Working...
                  X