Perspective

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Perspective

I've been playing around with some "practice" blocks from the Labyrinth Walk and also a couple of Bargello panels to decide which I would prefer to do for a quilt. Now, my question is....is it normal for your blocks/panels to look more "3D-ish" or sculptored if you view it from particular angles or perspectives? The reason I ask is that my "practises" look 'as they should" from certain angles or distances but at other angles or distances just look like a collection of pieced shapes. When viewing them from a picture on my phone/camera they look terrific but flat on my bed unless I am at a certain angle they look a bit....well, meh. Is this right or have I "woopsed" something?
    Attached Files

Re: Perspective

Yes, that's totally normal. The human eye has one perspective and a camera has yet another. Both of your pieces look great. I always check my layouts with a picture before I sew rows together to see what the camera sees. It's a real eye opener.
    sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

These look Great!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Even in actual 3d your eye will see something different as you change positions. I say go for the one you like the best.
        No act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted.
        Aesop

Comment

luv that 3D block!

Comment

Personally, I think 3-D belongs on a wall not a bed. I like the bargello for the bed.
            Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Comment

Optical illusions work from a limited angle... change the angle of viewing and the illusion is no longer complete.

Comment

Your blocks certainly don't look like practice! Very nice indeed!

A little perspective via sidewalk chalk art...

image.jpeg

Comment

Thanks for the opinions everyone. Appreciated.

I think I am leaning towards doing the Bargello. Looking at both samples I've done, when the 3D one looks "meh" it looks "meh", but when the Bargello panel "loses its curves" it still looks like a pretty collection of blues. I'm wondering if my shading was not quite right with the panel? Even though I did the black and white photo thing with both the pattern layout and my fabrics to try to get the shading correct, maybe I've not quite mastered it and this is part of the problem?
                  Stitchwishes....oh my goodness what terrific art work!

Comment

Top is finally finished but now I have to wait for the online store I want to buy the backing from to come back on line from having maintenance done...ugh! Drats, I knew I should've bought it when I saw it a few days ago! That'll "learn me"! Ah well, I've got another "Falling Triangles" top all cut out so I s'pose I could get a start on that while I'm waiting......stomping off to rummage in the sewing room....where did I put that?
                    Thanks for looking and s'cuse the messy room!
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by just4me; August 25, 2016, 01:05 AM.

Comment

Turned out gorgeous!
                      Vonnie

Comment

Looks wonderful. I think you made the right choice. The labrynth would make me dizzy, but the block turned out awesome. I can see a teenage boy really liking it.

Comment

I was impressed by both, but I love the bargello, too. Does anyone remember the "Magic Eye" picture craze from 20 years ago? You had to refocus your gaze to see the hidden picture. all a matter of your perspective, I guess. It's much easier for old eyes, I think.
                          I want to try a bargello. On my list.

Comment

I really like it! Great job!
                            ***Kathy***

Comment

Magic Eye still exists (though the images aren't as popular...) http://magiceye.com/3dfun/stwkdisp.shtml

Comment

Working...
                              X