FMQ question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FMQ question

I am trying to expand my FMQ skills and have a question. If I am getting small "eyelashes" on the back when making circles am I moving my quilt/hands too fast or too slow?
    Beth

Procrastinate. It frees up time to quilt!

Re: FMQ question

too fast. Too slow usually makes small stitches
    K is for Karen 😊​..................
    Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Comment

Thanks Karen, I will try to slow down or maybe speed up the machine.
      Beth

Procrastinate. It frees up time to quilt!

Comment

I always thought eyelashes on the bottom meant that the top thread probably needed to be re threaded or that the top tension was off.
        Vonnie

Comment

Originally posted by Vonnie View Post
          I always thought eyelashes on the bottom meant that the top thread probably needed to be re threaded or that the top tension was off.
          It usually does, except she said only on curves, which is normally a speed issue. People tend to speed around the curves, just like in a car, and they get the little lashes like when a car starts to fishtail. If you remain steady in your speed, you don't get the small eyelashes or the fishtail.
          K is for Karen 😊​..................
          Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
          T - is it TRUE?
          H - is it HELPFUL?
          I - is it INSPIRING?
          N - is it NECESSARY?
          K - is it KIND?

Comment

Learn something new every day on this forum! Thanks Karen!
            Vonnie

Comment

you are right about learning something new and how they occur. Seems like I get a couple on every quilt but fewer as I get more experienced
              Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
              Terry

Comment

Maybe it's just me, but I get really large stitches going too fast around the corners, not eyelashes. I find I can go more smoothly when I go faster, but every time I have to stop and regroup, I lose my rhythm.
                BUT! I am learning, slowly.

Comment

Practice going around curves on practice sandwiches. It takes time to find your "groove." You need to find that just right speed between the foot pedal and your hands. I like to turn my foot pedal speed down to about halfway so no matter how far I put my food down on the pedal, it doesn't go any faster than I what I told my machine I want it to go. That way, I only need to worry about how fast my hands are going. For me, this works well. Large stitches on the front and eyelashes on the back are very common if you hands go too fast around those curves. Practice Practice Practice help.
                  My soul is fed with needle and thread, my body with chocolate!

Comment

Working...
                  X