Heat n Bond for Applique

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heat n Bond for Applique

I want to do a Sun Bonnet Sue quilt, and I am wondering what bonding product would work well. I would like to do decorative stitches so it has to be something that doesn't gum up the sewing machine needle. Thanks for any advice.

Re: Heat n Bond for Applique

I have used the light and sewable one with no problem. I have not used it on a quilt yet, but I will be doing some applique quilts soon so I am interested to hear what others say.

Comment

I have made many McKenna Ryan and Toni Whitney patterns. Steam-A-Seam 2 Lite was my favorite product. Now I use SoftFuse, which is what McKenna recommends.

I have used Heat and Bond. It gums up my needle badly. Also it can be very thick when there are lots of layers. When Steam-A-Seam was not available I tried a lightweight WonderUnder product. It also gummed up my needle.

SoftFuse is expensive. My quilt shop was able to sell me a box of Steam-A-Seam and the SoftFuse comes in three yard rolls for $20. I found a place in GA where you can get 30" by 3 yards. I got two rolls for $60.

The place in GA is Shades Textiles.
      Last edited by traildancer; July 14, 2016, 11:24 AM.
      The trail is the thing----Louis L'Amour

Comment

I hate Heat and Bond. When I took an applique class, we used Misty Fuse. You can hardly tell it's even on the fabric!
        pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

I used steam a seam 2 for my sunbonnet sue. I personally do not like any heat and bond product even ultra light is to stiff ans gums up needles. Steam a seam is a pellon product and I use it for all applique
          005 (2).jpg001.jpg
          sigpic:icon_hug: Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
          Time spent with cats is never wasted.
          Sigmund Freud

Comment

I agree with Pat, MistyFuse is the way to go. I just finished a baby quilt and appliqued and you couldn't tell it was there.
            Wendy
            http://www.pinterest.com/wlrich2/boards/

Comment

I may have done mine the hard way. I used Pellon Fusible Interfacing for my dolls. Had no problems with it. I think I'll try the Mistyfuse or Seam a Seam and make comparisons.
              sigpicLinda :icon_wave:

Comment

Steam a Seam is also nice. When I took my class was when they quit making it for a while because of manufacturing problems. A couple pieces were done with that, and I like it just as well, and maybe even better than Misty Fuse.
                pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

I've used both heat and bond lite and pellon I liked both.... but the Pellon I used was hardly noticeble...I've never tried the other ones mentioned on here.... I might give those a try.... Also the two I have used never gummed up my needles so I'm not sure how the did it but at least for me it worked great...
                  Priscilla Lujan
                  Los Angeles, CA:icon_cool:

Comment

I love heat and bond LITE for machine appliqué... But I wouldn't use anything heavier than the lite. No gummed up needles.
                    Sherrie
                    Life ain’t always beautiful
                    But it’s a beautiful ride - Gary Allen

Comment

I've come to the conclusion the conclusion that I don't care for any Heat 'n Bond products and will not by them again. Bubba, we're in the same club!
                      sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

I, too, have never had a problem with Heat n Bond Lite. I will try Misty Fuse. Where do you buy the Misty Fuse? I have never seen it any of the places where I shop. I remember when Wonder Under first came out. We all thought it was better than sliced bread.

Comment

Heat and Bond feather lite is a good product. I never had any problems with it.
                          🌺 Lorie

Comment

I love Misty Fuse, I use it for all my appliqué. I usually get it at my LQS, but you can also get it on Amazon. I pick it up when I see it, that way I have a stock of it when I need it!
                            April

Comment

I mainly used Heat and Bond since it was all that was available, and I satin stitched down on clothes. Some of the sweatshirts lasted over 20 years. (made the shirt, too, no shrinkage). Other half is still wearing one with an argyle pattern in ultrasuede.

I tried Steam a Seam for a wall hanging, wasn't bad. Not too sure if I'd want it for something frequently washed in unfinished edge.

I don't trust the unfinished edge applique.

Comment

Working...
                              X