Pre-cuts and matching solids

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pre-cuts and matching solids

I bought a Bright Heart jelly roll and made the Amazing Jelly Roll 3 Dudes quilt blocks! The blocks turned out great but it's way too busy and dark for me!

I'm thinking I will put slashing between the blocks to lighten and break up the busyness. The question is what color for the slashing. I thought about white or off white but there's not much white in the fabric. Usually under the pre-cuts there are suggestions for solid fabric that match, but in the case of the Bright Heart by Amy Butler I don't see any.

I'm kind of bummed it has turned out this way! And I'm so sorry I can't figure out how post pictures. Just needing some encouragement from my fellow quilters out there this afternoon.
    Thanks
    Carrie

https://www.missouriquiltco.com/shop...rt-design-roll
    Carrie

I cut it twice and it was still too short!

Re: Pre-cuts and matching solids

That's a very pretty JR, but it does tend to be dark. I would pick out one of the background colors to use as the sashing. I see a very pale yellow or maybe the light blue? green? in the last column, third row down. Good luck and post a pic when you're done. We would love to see it.
    Cindy

Comment

Yeah, I think so too! Used the Moda palette builder, it showed Bella Mint. Thanks for your help!
      Carrie

I cut it twice and it was still too short!

Comment

I just pulled that jelly roll up; that is dark, isn't it? I bet that mint green sashing will really lighten it up and you will end up loving it!

Comment

I kind of like the light lavender... I love the coral, but it might overshadow the blocks... But, it IS pretty.

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Comment

You might not be aware of this free resource, Moda has Palette Builder on its website. I ran it with the Bright Heart and here is what it returned for Bella solids. Hope this helps.

bright heart collection-palette.jpg

Comment

Admittedly, my color choices are not traditional. I don't like to match, I like to feel color instead. And I love texture and variation.

That said, here is my suggestion (having not seen the prints in person, and having no idea what your quilt looks like, haha!).

Peppered Cotton in Grellow. M* carries it, but if you've never seen this fabric the picture doesn't ever do it justice. The fabric designer has a terrific pic on her blog that you can enlarge. It's gray and yellow woven together, it might let your prints really shine. Or not.
              http://peppercory.blogspot.com/2013/...ns-on-way.html

Comment

Originally posted by Midge View Post
                You might not be aware of this free resource, Moda has Palette Builder on its website. I ran it with the Bright Heart and here is what it returned for Bella solids. Hope this helps.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]133027[/ATTACH]
                What a great suggestion! I was never aware of this site, but will definitely use it now. I have a difficult time putting fabrics together, but I'm a great editor of others' suggestions.

Comment

I think a cream color would go very nicely with all your colors. That would be my personal choice.
                  If you could choose to be anything choose kindness.

Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
                  http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

www.pinterest.com/cathyfiebe/boards

Comment

Originally posted by Cathy F View Post
                    I think a cream color would go very nicely with all your colors. That would be my personal choice.
                    That would be really nice! You reminded me I have the loveliest cream in my stash, Chamois by Free Spirit. It's really like pale butter. I got it to go with a vintage 30s reproduction fabric and it plays wonderfully with all those colors and isn't stark, it rather softens the look.

https://www.missouriquiltco.com/shop...hamois-yardage
                    See it here between black and white, it's really the "other" perfect neutral.
                    image.jpeg

Comment

I see solid turquoise as a possibility. It's not neccessarily a light, but it is calming, and those busy prints need some.
                      It just depends on where you want to go with it.
                      Pieced By Me! :icon_wave:

Pre-cut Yardage Chart

Comment

Working...
                      X