Tied quilt vs long arm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tied quilt vs long arm

I just absolutely love the look of the quilts I get back from my LAQ. My problem is that I have such a backlog of tops that I am so overwhelmed at what it will cost to get them all quilted. I was wondering if anyone has every done a decorative stitch on their quilts instead of using thread for a tied look. I have a new machine that does all these wonderful decorative stitches and it got me thinking... Could I do one flower stitch for example every few inches kind of like you would do if you wer tying a quilt the old fashion way. I know I should just take the leap and try stippling myself but I ruined one ( by my standards) of trying to finish a jelly roll quilt myself that I am so afraid to try again,

Thanks for your input??
    Shelley

Re: Tied quilt vs long arm

I have done that and it worked.

Comment

I used diagonal rows of a decorative stitch across a quilt I'd done. I thought it looked nice and my DIL loved it. Put on your walking foot and go for it.
      Good Luck,
      Susan
      Susan Davis
      Remember, the mighty oak was just a nut that held its ground.

Comment

You can also just do a diagonal cross hatch with your walking foot. I like the look of that and did it before I got my longarm.

Comment

I've used the feather stitch on a lap quilt.
          Using a walking foot, it's slow going but the results
          are worth the time. Don't think I would try it
          on a large quilt.

Comment

If you have that meander stitch--wavy line that can be lengthened--you can use that for the whole quilt, using your walking foot. I have used it lots of times. But, yes, you could "tie" a quilt using a decorative flower stitch, too.

Comment

I use my machine's serpentine stitch all the time... I like the idea of using other decorative stitches.... My walking foot won't do those stitches, do I don't use it , and have not noticed any problems....

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Comment

Just make up a practice quilt and practice on it and see what you like best. You can even take two fat quarters and sandwich them and practice. What I have found is that if I sit around and think about it instead of jumping in and doing it, then it won't get done. So just take the leap of faith.

Comment

Why not make a small quilt sandwich and give it a try! Your quilt, your design choices. A flower would look cute on a quilt with a lot of floral fabrics. The vine stitches would be great with the flowers too. See what you can generate. As Sandy said, I've seen others do a serpentine stitch and it looks wonderful.

Comment

can anyone tell me what stitch the serpentine stitch is on the cresendo machine, i cant seem to find it. thanks all

Comment

Another thought is if you have an embroidery machine you can use a simple line type pattern to quilt with. I did that on a quilt using the Jenny Haskins Quilt A Long designs. I'm about to do another quilt using my embroidery machine. I plan on putting an outline of the Sunbonnet Sue as the design.
                      Susan Davis
                      Remember, the mighty oak was just a nut that held its ground.

Comment

Originally posted by vbarb1014 View Post
                        can anyone tell me what stitch the serpentine stitch is on the cresendo machine, i cant seem to find it. thanks all
                        I can after I wake up a little
                        🌺 Lorie

Comment

Thank you everyone. Such great suggestions. I am definately going to go do a practice on some FQ and see what I come up with ....I knew you all could help me.
                          Shelley

Comment

You can also do a soft wavy line for patchwork. I did that on a small child's quilt and it everyone thought it looked great. I have a hard time just doing a straight line because something is going to happen to make a crooked line. But I can do a wavy line. Do it with your free motion foot and just stop at the corners to reposition your hands. I do diagonal wavy lines.

Also, I do loop de loops better than meander. Try it and see if you like it. Don't try to make them all the same size.
                            Vonnie

Comment

Originally posted by Equilady View Post
                              Another thought is if you have an embroidery machine you can use a simple line type pattern to quilt with. I did that on a quilt using the Jenny Haskins Quilt A Long designs. I'm about to do another quilt using my embroidery machine. I plan on putting an outline of the Sunbonnet Sue as the design.

I don't know the number but it looks like this: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-hcNO4bWPxb...0/IMG_7121.JPG
                              Vonnie

Comment

Working...
                              X