Rip out a whole motif?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rip out a whole motif?

I could use some advice, please. I'm at the tail end of finishing up my first quilt. I decided to machine quilt it myself. Just as I was finishing a meandering FMQ design on the first block (I was about an inch away from where I had planned to stop), my machine froze up completely. I've since fixed the machine and am ready to go back to quilting, but I have a couple of questions:

1. Since I stopped suddenly, there is no backstitch at the end. Do most people backstitch at the beginning and end?

2. Would sewing over the last few stitches and filling in that last inch suffice in place of no backstitching?

3. For whatever reason, I wasn't thinking about the stitching itself adding or detracting from the design (ridiculous to have not thought of that, I know). The block that I quilted with the meandering pattern is striped, so the meandering pattern really doesn't match. It looks rather awkward. So, I'm considering ripping out the quilting and redoing it. I'm concerned though that I'll just make it look worse because there will be visible holes from the needle everywhere. Should this be a concern? My fabrics on back and fron are both cotton. The backing is a batik and the front is a somewhat thin quilting cotton.

Thank you in advance for your opinions!

P.S. If I've done my attachment correctly, a photo of the quilt is attached.
    Attached Files

Re: Rip out a whole motif?

I love your quilt! Those colors are great and you picked the perfect print for the border, not always an easy choice for me. I totally suck at machine quilting (I think it is much harder than it looks) so I hand quilt everything, so I am sorry I can't answer any of your FMQ questions but someone will!!!!

Comment

you can pull the threads to the back of the quilt and tie a knot then pull the backing up to sink the knot in the batting. That will keep it from coming loose. Why don't you do another square and see how you like the machine quilting then. Sometimes it looks better if you have more to look at.
      sigpic

Comment

If you have enough thread to tie a knot, use a needle to take the top thread to the back, knot, and then bury the knot into the batting. If you don't have enough thread, you can carefully pull out the stitches until there is enough thread to knot.

If you rip out all the stitches, the holes will close when you wash the quilt. Those holes are one of the reasons to use the right size needle for the weight of the thread that you are using. If your needle is too large for the thread, you get a larger hole that is not filled by the thread.
        If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Comment

I agree, don't be too quick to pull out your stitching. Quite often a 'contrast" of quilt pattern versus quilting stitch pattern can really add to the visual effect, often highlighting the difference between the two styles and thus bringing them more "to mind" when viewing. But really, it's a personal choice and I would as suggested, do a bit more then step back and leave it a few days, looking at it often before making your decision. Secondly, regarding your needle holes if you pull out your quilting.....if you dab the holes with a wet cloth more often than not it has been my experience that the holes close right up..similarly, after the first wash...so don't be too concerned about that. Do a trial un-pick and wet dab to see?
          All the best....

Comment

First of all, let me say you did a wonderful job on your first quilt! I still struggle to get rows like the straight , and yours look perfect!
            I didn't read what other advice you received, so I will just say rip it out if you don't like it, washing the quilt will make the holes close up. Great job!

Comment

I think a meander on that quilt will look great. You have done a beautiful job with the top.
              If you aren't a perfectionist, you can back stitch or stitch in place two or three stitches to start and finish. (If the thread blends well with the fabric)
              Remember, you are the only person who will be inspecting that quilt, and only you will know where the mistakes are. Don't be too hard on yourself. This is supposed to be fun!

Comment

If you decide to do stitch in the ditch, it's not necessary to do back stitching. When you begin, reduce your first couple stitches to 0.5 or 1.0, then advance the length to 3.0. Do the same when ending. No muss, no fuss. Makes for a much neater look without all that back stitching. You did a nice job on your first quilt. I like the fabric choices.

Comment

I think your first quilt is wonderful... The colors are great, and the design is classic... You did a very hood job...

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Comment

I think a meander will look good. Very nice quilt.

Comment

I FMQ meander most all my quilts. I stitch over the last 3-4 stitches when re-starting all the time (running out of bobbin thread - thread breaks, etc.). I have gone back and tried to find those after washing and unless it is on a solid color of fabric - I rarely can find where I stitched over. Love the colors in your quilt - very pretty!

Adding to this - when I begin to FMQ I take 3 or 4 tiny stitches to start with and then end the same way when I need to.
                      ***Kathy***

Comment

Working...
                      X