Fabric bleeding...help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fabric bleeding...help!

I just washed my finished quilt. I had pre-washed all fabrics, but I knew there can be dye that can still bleed. Anyway, all of my fabrics (10/11) in the quilt washed great, except one. It absorbed the dye from my backing! The fabric absorbed it evenly, all over. But, it is still tinged an off color. I haven't dried it and it did not sit in the washer, because I was watching it like a hawk. And I used color catchers. What do I do now?

Re: Fabric bleeding...help!

Rewash it with more color catchers and see if that helps. You may have to rewash several times. I think there is also a solution to use instead of your regular soap that is sometimes sold in quilt stores, but I don't know the name. Maybe someone will come along with that info. Just don't let it dry until you get the color out.
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Comment

Originally posted by Sylvia H View Post
      Rewash it with more color catchers and see if that helps. You may have to rewash several times. I think there is also a solution to use instead of your regular soap that is sometimes sold in quilt stores, but I don't know the name. Maybe someone will come along with that info. Just don't let it dry until you get the color out.
      Ok. That's what I'm doing right now. I have a High Efficiency machine, so I'm wondering if the water it's "conserving" is not allowing my quilt to get submerged in water and wash the dye away.

Comment

Originally posted by Kenz View Post
        Ok. That's what I'm doing right now. I have a High Efficiency machine, so I'm wondering if the water it's "conserving" is not allowing my quilt to get submerged in water and wash the dye away.
        I have one of those [never again] and read that it helped to wash on the bulky items setting plus the fabric softener button for the most water in the tub.

Comment

Originally posted by Claire Hallman View Post
          I have one of those [never again] and read that it helped to wash on the bulky items setting plus the fabric softener button for the most water in the tub.

Agreed! I hate mine! That's pretty much all they sell in the stores these days.

Comment

I replaced mine. It just stayed stinky and gave me a lot of problems. Good luck with your quilt!
            🌺 Lorie

Comment

Orvus - if you can get your hands on it. Available (usually) in animal supply houses since it's used to remove stains from show animals. Mild yet strong. Will remove stains from old quilts without damage, and I think it would probably help remove the backing color from the front of your quilt.

HATE front loaders with a passion.
              Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
              it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

I soaked mine in the bath tub with color catchers for a few hours, plunged it a few times, rinsed, repeated... All bleeding came out... I think it needs to soak for a bit to be most effective.

Comment

HE machines are notorious for not letting enough water into the machines....dh attached an extra hose to our sink's faucet and once the machine has let in all the water it thinks it needs, I go and top up with as much water as I think is needed to submerge the items being washed...I do NOT like these HE washing machines.

Comment

Now that's a great idea! Just throw in extra water. I would never have thought to do that. A bucket or two should do the trick. I agree that putting it on the soak cycle would be a good choice. What about oxyclean? Has anyone used that with success or is it too strong for a quilt?

We replaced our machines. I found an LG top-loading HE machine with no agitator and I love it. After using the front-loading ones in the house in the Netherlands I knew I would never purchase one. I had to keep the door open when not in use so it wouldn't get smelly from the water that sits in that lip at the bottom of the opening. Talk about a poor design.
                    Last edited by rebeccas-sewing; July 12, 2016, 09:56 AM.
                    Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Comment

Originally posted by Sandy Navas View Post
                      Orvus - if you can get your hands on it. Available (usually) in animal supply houses since it's used to remove stains from show animals. Mild yet strong. Will remove stains from old quilts without damage, and I think it would probably help remove the backing color from the front of your quilt.

HATE front loaders with a passion.
                      I have a huge jar of that for my horse. Who knew!

Comment

http://www.colorwaysbyvicki.com/save...ing-quilt.html

I actually tried this today and it worked.

Comment

Well, the quilt is ruined permanently. After going through about 15-20 rinses in the machine and bathtub with color catchers, the green wasn't budging, but the color catchers kept absorbing green! The water was green! I was desparate and got the Carbona Dye Remover, that claims to remove unwanted bleeds. It removed every color from the quilt, except the green that I wanted it to remove. I called the shop I got the green backing from, and they immediately pulled it from the shelf and sent it to the manufacturer. It was the Essentials-Wilmington Criss Cross Wide Back in Green, just in case someone else has this fabric.

Comment

I am so sorry you couldn't save your quilt. By any chance did you dry your quilt after the first wash? I have always heard that if your don't dry a quilt with fading and you soak it in cool water and then rewash it that the bleeding dye will come out. The rationale on this is that the same thing (water) that caused the dye to bleed in the first place will cause it to lift again. Again, I am so sorry.
                            sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Now I'm worried about a quilt I'm working on...I discovered inadvertantly that the batiks are bleeding as I use water soluble glue to glue the dresdens and its centers in place before securing permanently by hand sewing them in place. One of the centers wasn't right and so I used water to remove the center in order to reposition it properly. The colour bled onto the white background...I decided to use major color catchers on most of the blocks and I had to replace some backgrounds as they just didn't look right anymore...the more water I used, the more successful things seemed to go but I've not done it to all...I decided to rewash the bleeding batiks again with colour catchers and then make new blocks with the re-washed fabric...but now I'm nervous...

We're off on a 2 week RV trip and I was going to handsew all the dresdens on this trip...is it going to be worth it in the end now?

Abigail's Quilt 2016-07-13 001.jpg

Comment

Working...
                              X