• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kgirlmom
    replied
    Re: Baseball quilt question

Originally posted by Maureen Anne View Post
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]132996[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]132997[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]132998[/ATTACH]
    The first picture is the big side curve. I attached the tape I made around 3/4 inches by zigzagging down the center. Then the next two photos show the 4 inch stitches I made. Folded over about 1/4 inch and tucked the unsewn edge under the tape already sewn down. Blanket stitched around each "stitch" and finally down both sides of the tape. I am happy with the plan!
    Just WOW! This is a great idea to make for my daughter and her husband as a wall hanging in their new home!

Leave a comment:

• Anitamae56
    replied

Thank you, very much Maureen. The pictures really helped , I really liked the fabric you choose for the ball .

Leave a comment:

• amartin24
    replied

Maureen, thanks for posting a pic! We are doing the stitches pretty much the same. I like your background fabric - makes it look like a used baseball! I chose white as my background so I guess my baseball will be shiny new!

Leave a comment:

• Maureen Anne
    replied

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg
    The first picture is the big side curve. I attached the tape I made around 3/4 inches by zigzagging down the center. Then the next two photos show the 4 inch stitches I made. Folded over about 1/4 inch and tucked the unsewn edge under the tape already sewn down. Blanket stitched around each "stitch" and finally down both sides of the tape. I am happy with the plan!

Leave a comment:

• amartin24
    replied

Originally posted by CraftySweetPeas View Post
    I make "grommets" on my embroidery machine - I wish I had a picture of the quilt I made that had the look of a tennis shoe for one activity on the quilt. It would be easy enough to do that for this quilt if you have an embroidery machine....?
    I don't have an embroidery machine but my Brother machine will do an "eyelet" hole stitch.
    Yesterday at Joann's I picked up some black 1/4" twill tape as well as some dark red bias tape that I think I will be using for the stitching.

Leave a comment:

• CraftySweetPeas
    replied

I make "grommets" on my embroidery machine - I wish I had a picture of the quilt I made that had the look of a tennis shoe for one activity on the quilt. It would be easy enough to do that for this quilt if you have an embroidery machine....?

Leave a comment:

• klgls
    replied

I ran across this baseball quilt with free directions - was thinking about it for a nephew that is baseball crazy.

http://mattandshari.com/sewing/quilt...aseball-quilt/

Leave a comment:

• Anitamae56
    replied

Maureen, I would also like to know how you are doing it. I would love to make one. I would also like to see some pictures of what you are doing. I want to make one for my 11 year old grandson also.
    Thank you!,
    Anita

Leave a comment:

• amartin24
    replied

Originally posted by Maureen Anne View Post
    I am working on this exact quilt right now. I made a bias burgundy tape for the curved line. Used small zigzag down the middle to hold it and am now blanket stitching the fake stitching on. Will show a picture when finished.

It is for a 13 year old -- no batting -- just a throw for him to use while reading!! Makes his reading Grandma very proud.
    Maureen, did you cut out each "stitch" separately and stitching each one on? I don't see how else to do it. I'm thinking of using 1/4 inch black bias tape for center then cutting and stitching on each red stitch.

Leave a comment:

• Maureen Anne
    replied

I am working on this exact quilt right now. I made a bias burgundy tape for the curved line. Used small zigzag down the middle to hold it and am now blanket stitching the fake stitching on. Will show a picture when finished.

It is for a 13 year old -- no batting -- just a throw for him to use while reading!! Makes his reading Grandma very proud.

Leave a comment:

• SallyO'Sews
    replied

Well, thanks a bunch, ladies... now I have something else to add to my bucket list! One of my sons is a part-time umpire, and the other worked for the baseball team at his university.

Leave a comment:

• Hulamoon
    replied

I was thinking about your quilt and was wondering about ways to applique it. I was thinking (if you didn't already) to make a curved cut out, do your applique and sew it in. I have nothing to do today except think about other peoples projects.

Leave a comment:

• KarenC
    replied

I had to look at the photos multiple times before I noticed the difference. I like the second one also, but to me it still looked like applique for the red laces, with a thinner black strip down the middle. I've seen the 1/4 inch iron on black bias strip that Pam Clarke used in a stain glass quilt. I think that would look good down the middle instead of a wider red strip. But hey, as many tiems I had to look before I could tell the difference, the child will not realize the difference.

Leave a comment:

• Patty J
    replied

I made my sister a football quilt using her college teams colors in a rail fence then I scattered brown applique footballs over the top. It was easy and so cute when I finished that I had to do a Green/Gold one for my other sister.

Leave a comment:

• amartin24
    replied

Yes, I did see that one but it seemed like a lot more work. I already made a round baseball pillow and did use the bias tape for the stitching, along with embroidery thread. I think if I applique the laces, I will "pinch" the ends to make them look laced.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X