Baseball quilt question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Baseball quilt question

I want to make a baseball quilt for my great nephew (age 6). Something similar to this https://www.pinterest.com/pin/61431982392521030/ or more like this one https://www.pinterest.com/pin/42362052721974088/.
    Although the first one looks easier (applique the red "laces"), I like the look better of the second one. The second one looks more realistic like it was laced. So, I was trying to think how to make it looked "laced". I thought of an eyelet stitch on my machine to make the holes and then lace some kind of fabric or ribbon through. Or, install white sneaker eyelets that you can buy on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Trimming-Shop...rommet+eyelets. What are your thoughts? Anyone familiar with sewing eyelet holes or using eyelet grommets? Thanks.
    I am Sew Blessed!
    Alina

Re: Baseball quilt question

I'd stay away from grommets and separate lacing. Might make the quilt heavy, noisy in the dryer, and probably not the safest thing for a 6 yr old. The grommets could come loose and be a choking hazard for kids or pets.

I only saw the same pic on both links, but I think I'd applique. In my experience making quilts for kids that age, I found that they're more interested in pictures of their loved hobbies and don't know, or care, the techniques I've used.

Comment

I like the one with the white two rows of red laces. I am not following your line of thinking at all as far as using actual eyelets or grommets. I can't see how that would work and what if the eyelets become rusted over time from being washed, wouldn't that ruin your quilt

Comment

Sharyn, you're probably right. Kids don't care the technique, just that it looks like a baseball! Thanks for reining me in! A lot less work too!
        I am Sew Blessed!
        Alina

Comment

Agree with the concerns above. I saw the same quilt in both photos, and it's cool. Did you see this one below too? This looks like a lot of fun to make. I would try out making red bias tape and appliqueing it in a curve to see how it might work out at your house. Sounds like a project a little boy would love!

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...31d457aa08.jpg

Comment

I was going to say make bias tape too!
            🌺 Lorie

Comment

Yes, I did see that one but it seemed like a lot more work. I already made a round baseball pillow and did use the bias tape for the stitching, along with embroidery thread. I think if I applique the laces, I will "pinch" the ends to make them look laced.
              I am Sew Blessed!
              Alina

Comment

I made my sister a football quilt using her college teams colors in a rail fence then I scattered brown applique footballs over the top. It was easy and so cute when I finished that I had to do a Green/Gold one for my other sister.

Comment

I had to look at the photos multiple times before I noticed the difference. I like the second one also, but to me it still looked like applique for the red laces, with a thinner black strip down the middle. I've seen the 1/4 inch iron on black bias strip that Pam Clarke used in a stain glass quilt. I think that would look good down the middle instead of a wider red strip. But hey, as many tiems I had to look before I could tell the difference, the child will not realize the difference.

Comment

I was thinking about your quilt and was wondering about ways to applique it. I was thinking (if you didn't already) to make a curved cut out, do your applique and sew it in. I have nothing to do today except think about other peoples projects.
                    🌺 Lorie

Comment

Well, thanks a bunch, ladies... now I have something else to add to my bucket list! One of my sons is a part-time umpire, and the other worked for the baseball team at his university.

Comment

I am working on this exact quilt right now. I made a bias burgundy tape for the curved line. Used small zigzag down the middle to hold it and am now blanket stitching the fake stitching on. Will show a picture when finished.

It is for a 13 year old -- no batting -- just a throw for him to use while reading!! Makes his reading Grandma very proud.

Comment

Originally posted by Maureen Anne View Post
                          I am working on this exact quilt right now. I made a bias burgundy tape for the curved line. Used small zigzag down the middle to hold it and am now blanket stitching the fake stitching on. Will show a picture when finished.

It is for a 13 year old -- no batting -- just a throw for him to use while reading!! Makes his reading Grandma very proud.
                          Maureen, did you cut out each "stitch" separately and stitching each one on? I don't see how else to do it. I'm thinking of using 1/4 inch black bias tape for center then cutting and stitching on each red stitch.
                          I am Sew Blessed!
                          Alina

Comment

Maureen, I would also like to know how you are doing it. I would love to make one. I would also like to see some pictures of what you are doing. I want to make one for my 11 year old grandson also.
                            Thank you!,
                            Anita

Comment

I ran across this baseball quilt with free directions - was thinking about it for a nephew that is baseball crazy.

http://mattandshari.com/sewing/quilt...aseball-quilt/
                              ***Kathy***

Comment

Working...
                              X