Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not sure how much fabric is needed

I am considering making a similar quilt as a baby gift. image.jpg

The panel is 24 x 44 but I am unsure of how much fabric I would need to purchase to make the widths of the three strips above and below the panel to look right. I have so much trouble figuring these things out without a pattern!

I would appreciate any help!

Cheryl

Re: Not sure how much fabric is needed

I would think to get 1/4 yard of each. That's the least amount you can buy. That gives you 4'' strips for the blue, unless you want it wider.

It's really cute!
    🌺 Lorie

Comment

you need three strips for each color. one for each end and then the additional to make up what is removed by the selvedges. so if your blue strip is 10 inches. you would need 30 inches. if the red is 4 inches you would need 12 inches. if the orange is 5 inches you would need 15 inches. and probably round up to the next cutting increment depending if you are purchasing in person, or online. if you are purchasing in person you can get specific with how many inches.
      Blogging ahead.....research in quilting and sewing with a dab of cooking/recipes too.

https://myquiltprojects.wordpress.com/

https://thecookbookproject.wordpress.com/

Comment

I suggest you buy 1/2-5/8 yard of each fabric in case you have to piece it to make it 44" like the panel. You will also need fabric for the binding.
        sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

I would buy 1/3 yd for the two wider strips and a 1/4 yd for the more narrow ones. I would probably cut 4.5" strips for the larger and 3.5" for the narrower strips.
          Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Comment

Originally posted by rebeccas-sewing View Post
            I would buy 1/3 yd for the two wider strips and a 1/4 yd for the more narrow ones. I would probably cut 4.5" strips for the larger and 3.5" for the narrower strips.
            1/3 yd is a good idea for the large. 1/4 might be cutting it too close, cutting it into two pieces. You might recieve some wonky cuts. lol

I really like this little quilt. I was going to buy a Dr Suess book set for my grandsons birthday. This would be a cute addition for it.
            🌺 Lorie

Comment

Thanks! I have always loved Dr. Suess and Horton the elephant is one of my favorite characters. I have all the books that my grandparents gave me as a child. I'm planning on using the Horton Hears a Who book panel and then gifting a copy of the book with the quilt.

Comment

Thank you for all the advice. I hadn't thought about the binding but a pieced binding with the leftover fabric would be cute.

Comment

Originally posted by rebeccas-sewing View Post
                  Thank you for the suggestion on strip width. That really helps tremendously.

Comment

Don't sweat it. You can make the strips any size you want! So, start by deciding the length and width of the blanket you want.

Add the width of all the panel pieces, subtract that width from your desired width to determine how much MORE fabric you need for the width.

Do the same for the length of all the panel pieces.

Scribble down the layout of your panel pieces and strips (how you want the blanket to look).

In the photo above: there are 5 panels across x 2 rows. So, 5 x the width of each panel subtracted from the desired width size.
                    And 2 x the length of each panel subtracted from the designed length size.

And remember when calculating how much MORE fabric you need, add 1/2" to each "strip" of length and width piece of fabric that you will be adding to the blanket -- to allow for the seam allowance (1/4" PER side for each strip added = 1/2").

Then, I always get an extra 1/4 - 1/2 yard of fabric to allow for any "oops" in my cutting!
                    Blessings, DramaMama

"May your bobbin always be full!"

Massdrop Refer-A-Friend link: :icon_woohoo:
                    http://link.massdrop.com/54bd7c22291...of0ePjsfeAaf4b

Comment

Working...
                    X