This Cutting Always Baffles Me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This Cutting Always Baffles Me

How is it possible to accurately cut multiple strip sets at the same time?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiL-YN9Mw7o

Every video I have seen makes a point to line up a ruler line with one of the horizontal seams on the top strip set -- but it is apparent that the strip sets under the top one are not evenly lined up! And when it is not apparent, you have no way of knowing whether the sets underneath are lined up correctly so that those seams will be on a ruler line.

So ... won't you always (unless the stars in the heavens are all aligned for you & luck is on your side) get slightly wonky strips from those strip sets under the top one?

Would love to cut multiple strip sets at one time, but I plug away one at a time -- carefully aligning my ruler on a seam line.
    Blessings, DramaMama

"May your bobbin always be full!"

Massdrop Refer-A-Friend link: :icon_woohoo:
    http://link.massdrop.com/54bd7c22291...of0ePjsfeAaf4b

Re: This Cutting Always Baffles Me

On strip sets, I cut them one by one. I'd rather have them right than wrong!
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

I learned something new. Staggering so the seams aren't all on top of each other.
      🌺 Lorie

Comment

Originally posted by Hulamoon View Post
        I learned something new. Staggering so the seams aren't all on top of each other.
        Good luck with that!
        Blessings, DramaMama

"May your bobbin always be full!"

Massdrop Refer-A-Friend link: :icon_woohoo:
        http://link.massdrop.com/54bd7c22291...of0ePjsfeAaf4b

Comment

I cut single layers of strip sets.....a lesson learned the hard way. I would rather spend a little extra time cutting than having to remake the strips and possibly having to order more fabric.
          sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

I've seen the Gourmet Quilter...and others ...stagger strip sets, before cutting them... It seems to work.. But, I'm more likely to cut each strip individually.... Just to be safe...

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Comment

A few things to consider. 1) Make sure you press all your seams before layering them. 2) Be sure to offset the seams at least 3/8 inch so they do not sit on top of each other. At this point make sure that you have several points along the ruler line, say every 3 inches or so, to make sure you are lined up. 3) Note how the first strip is cut slightly larger then cut to size.

Accuracy is important at each stage and it can be done. Remember getting an accurate 1/4 inch seam is essential.
              Good luck. I suggest you try practicing on a few scraps to see how this works for you. Just as it took time to master the seam allowance, it will take some to get this method down.
              No act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted.
              Aesop

Comment

I gave up and ripped rather than cut. Anything over 4 inches, I still rip.

Then bought an Accuquilt for strips. Worth it to avoid the hassle.

Comment

I end up spending more time fussing over the stacking. And I've made wonky sets that are too small when trimmed straight. So I don't do this any more. Not worth the hassle and inevitable frustration. Maybe it's my skill level. Or maybe it's that I'm retired and my schedule is my own. But I really don't get this cult of hurry up. I sew for fun and relaxation, not time trials like the Olympic tryouts.

Comment

I cut sets like this all the time. As long as your edge is straight to start with and your seams are accurate you shouldn't have a problem.
                    Quilters never die, they just go batts.

Comment

I cut multiple strips sets, but usually no more than 4 at a time. I nest the seams and they don't budge. I've never had an issue with it at all.
                      🍄 Heather🍄

Comment

I highly recommend the Stripology Ruler. It is awesome for cutting strips and strip sets. At first I was nervous about using it but I watched the videos on You Tube and got up the courage to use it. When I need 2-!/2" strips, I can cut a huge stack of strips in no time. If I sew the 2-1/2" strips together lengthwise and then, need to cut those strips in 2-1/2" pieces, it is so easy.

Comment

Working...
                        X