New quilter here.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New quilter here.

I am attempting to make the Prairie Flower quilt. There are 4 points in each block. So my question is - if I need to sq up a block there would be a good chancecI would loose my point plus when I put the boarder around I would loose another 1/4 inch. Am I correct in my thinking? Am I also think this is to much a challenge for a newbie?

https://www.google.com/search?q=prar...DCU2IcK2yjM%3A

Re: New quilter here.

Hi Claudiaj,
    I've not made this particular quilt myself but maybe I can help you out anyway. The first thing any new quilter should be made aware of is that cutting accurately is super important. If you don’t cut accurately you will never have good points. Next is accurate ¼ inch seams. Again, if you are not achieving accurate ¼ inch seams you’ll never have good points. If you do both of these things you will probably never have to square up a block and your points will be reasonably good. When you construct the block, the flying geese (the bits with the points), have a built in ¼ inch seam beyond the point. That way, when you go to sew the blocks together you have that seam built right in! Neat huh?
    Here’s what I’d do if I were you. Try sewing just the part of the block that has the point. Just make one of these points and see how things are working out for you. Do you have that 1/4 inch built in seam? If not look at your process and see what went south. I think this would actually be a really good quilt to start with. It’s also ideal to have a seasoned quilter as a friend who can give you some real time, hands on advice. Good luck!
    Last edited by buzzy; July 6, 2016, 04:04 PM. Reason: better communication

Comment

Hi, Claudiaj: Buzzy, you are correct with the 1/4" seams, etc. I am in the process of making this block for a block swap group. One of the people also making it made a mention that the points on this particular ARE cut off. You do not get a point. Hope this helps.

Comment

Thank you that easies my mind a bit.

Comment

Claudiaj, if you look very closely on the video as Jenny pieces it, you can see that the petal units are constructed so the point is at the edge of the fabric. So you will have to have blunted points when you put the unit together and add the sashing. So relax and just enjoy the experience! I'm sure it will look fine.

Comment

Check out this video re: attaching sashing/border to a block with points:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEQV...yQzBpwO0qbGbDH
            Blessings, DramaMama

"May your bobbin always be full!"

Massdrop Refer-A-Friend link: :icon_woohoo:
            http://link.massdrop.com/54bd7c22291...of0ePjsfeAaf4b

Comment

Working...
            X