Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Designing a Bargello Quilt by Hand

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Designing a Bargello Quilt by Hand

    Hello,

    I know there is software out there for this, but none of it works on Apple.

    I have never designed my own quilt before never mind a bargello. I have no idea where to begin.

    Any help is sincerely appreciated.

    Lynda

    #2
    Re: Designing a Bargello Quilt by Hand

    I don't know much about bargellos. I have never made one, but read quite a bit about them, it's just that first step that is scaring me off. From what I've read they are sort of built in quarters, so that may make them easier to design.
    K is for Karen 😊​..................
    Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.


    Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

    Comment


      #3
      Re: Designing a Bargello Quilt by Hand

      I have never made one either - but I would be tempted to try a pattern first to see how they are constructed and then go from there. Good luck!!
      ***Kathy***

      Comment


        #4
        Re: Designing a Bargello Quilt by Hand

        I've not made one but I happened across 2 bargello books at my local library. Maybe you could find similar at your library and you wouldn't have to purchase a pattern. I bookmarked this tutorial to try myself, but I've not done it yet. http://letsquiltsomething.blogspot.a...-roll.html?m=1

        There are some really talented bargello makers here on this forum I'm sure you will get great advice.

        Comment


          #5
          Re: Designing a Bargello Quilt by Hand

          There is a Craftsy class offered for bargellos.
          Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

          Comment


            #6
            Re: Designing a Bargello Quilt by Hand

            Check out Eleanor Burns "Quick Trip Quilts". I used the book and have made 2.Of course, they were my version.I just didn't want to try all the different widths. Maybe next time!

            Comment


              #7
              Re: Designing a Bargello Quilt by Hand

              This Craftsy YouTube video tells how to construct a simple bargello block: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z70yU8MJY6M
              *~* Myrna *~*
              *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*

              Comment


                #8
                Re: Designing a Bargello Quilt by Hand

                I'm not looking for a how to make one. I'm looking for how to design one.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Re: Designing a Bargello Quilt by Hand

                  Design is very personal. When I design something, I start with a basic thought.
                  I want to use this fabric or fabrics.
                  What is the best way to showcase them?
                  And then it is followed by 73 iterations of this over that. Design is a lot of trial and error till it seems right to you.
                  If software is not working out for you, try a graph paper and color pencils.

                  I believe there a version of EQ for Apple.

                  In your case, you want to design a bargello quilt. Some basic questions to begin with are
                  How many fabrics do I wish to use?
                  How big a quilt do I want?
                  Is there an image/effect you want - waves, heart, twists/turns etc.
                  Hope this helps.

                  Another thing - if you want your design to be unique, do not look at bargello quilts. Look at the sky, the ocean or any other thing. Be inspired and try to recreate that effect in fabric.

                  Most of us can follow a pattern. Creating/designing is indeed very different, much more engaging and an arduous process. But it is definitely worth it. Go for it.
                  Preeti
                  http://sewpreetiquilts.blogspot.com/

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Re: Designing a Bargello Quilt by Hand

                    Originally posted by Preeti View Post
                    Design is very personal. When I design something, I start with a basic thought.
                    I want to use this fabric or fabrics.
                    What is the best way to showcase them?
                    And then it is followed by 73 iterations of this over that. Design is a lot of trial and error till it seems right to you.
                    If software is not working out for you, try a graph paper and color pencils.

                    I believe there a version of EQ for Apple.

                    In your case, you want to design a bargello quilt. Some basic questions to begin with are
                    How many fabrics do I wish to use?
                    How big a quilt do I want?
                    Is there an image/effect you want - waves, heart, twists/turns etc.
                    Hope this helps.

                    Another thing - if you want your design to be unique, do not look at bargello quilts. Look at the sky, the ocean or any other thing. Be inspired and try to recreate that effect in fabric.

                    Most of us can follow a pattern. Creating/designing is indeed very different, much more engaging and an arduous process. But it is definitely worth it. Go for it.
                    Thank you Preeti.

                    Yes there is a version of EQ for Apple, I just can't justify the price. I keep trying, but I can't.

                    I am trying to design a quilt with a very obvious image in the bargello. Will look at my bargello books and get out the paper and coloured pencils and give it a go.

                    Many thanks,

                    Lynda

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Re: Designing a Bargello Quilt by Hand

                      If you look at your bargello books you will see that the pattern instructions look just like an excel spreadsheet. Apples version of an excel spreadsheet is called Numbers. Using the copy paste function you will be able to quickly design your own bargello. Assign each cell a different color.
                      Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Re: Designing a Bargello Quilt by Hand

                        Originally posted by DeniseSm View Post
                        If you look at your bargello books you will see that the pattern instructions look just like an excel spreadsheet. Apples version of an excel spreadsheet is called Numbers. Using the copy paste function you will be able to quickly design your own bargello. Assign each cell a different color.
                        Denise, Thank you for the suggestion, but Numbers is $27.99. Wonder if I can do the same thing with Excel?

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Re: Designing a Bargello Quilt by Hand

                          Yes I have done many original bargello designs with Excel. It is also handy for making tables of cut widths. Here is an example of using Excel for bargello designs

                          http://katiesquiltingcorner.com/2012...ng-part-1.html
                          Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Re: Designing a Bargello Quilt by Hand

                            Originally posted by DeniseSm View Post
                            Yes I have done many original bargello designs with Excel. It is also handy for making tables of cut widths. Here is an example of using Excel for bargello designs

                            http://katiesquiltingcorner.com/2012...ng-part-1.html
                            Thank you very much

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X