Because I'm Terrible At Math...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Because I'm Terrible At Math...

If I am making a quilt that uses 2 1/2 inch squares and 2 1/2 inch hst, what size square do I cut so that the hst ends up 2 1/2 inches?

Thanks in advance, I'm so confused with this!

Re: Because I'm Terrible At Math...

If you start with squares that are 4" and place two together and sew around all four edges and then cut diagonally in each direction
    you will end up with four HSTs that are a little larger than 2.5. You can trim them up to make them the perfect size.
    sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Thank you! I could not figure this out for the life of me!

Comment

Will this help in future when working with other measurements?

http://blog.shopmartingale.com/wp-co...er-i-5-alt.jpg
        Blessings, DramaMama

"May your bobbin always be full!"

Massdrop Refer-A-Friend link: :icon_woohoo:
        http://link.massdrop.com/54bd7c22291...of0ePjsfeAaf4b

Comment

Yes! Thank you for that!

Comment

I took a class in Perfect Piecing a few years ago. The instructor was a firm believer in cutting larger then squaring up. So I cut 3" squares, place two squares right sides together, draw a diagonal line on the back of the lighter square, sew 1/4" seam allowance on both sides of the drawn line, then cut on the drawn line, press to the dark side, then square to 2 1/2". This method also does not have bias edges. I have always had trouble with the 7/8" added - does not leave much room for error and I need a lot of room for errors!
            Vonnie

Comment

Originally posted by Vonnie View Post
              I took a class in Perfect Piecing a few years ago. The instructor was a firm believer in cutting larger then squaring up. So I cut 3" squares, place two squares right sides together, draw a diagonal line on the back of the lighter square, sew 1/4" seam allowance on both sides of the drawn line, then cut on the drawn line, press to the dark side, then square to 2 1/2". This method also does not have bias edges. I have always had trouble with the 7/8" added - does not leave much room for error and I need a lot of room for errors!
              This is how I learned to make HST's too.. The 7/8 thingy just seemed silly to me... It was too precise fir me, as I have vision issues...

If you use an Easy Angle, which is highly recommended by Bonnie Hunter, the outcome is pretty good... Even so, I often still oversize, and trim...

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Comment

I bought Eleanor Burns HST ruler. Makes squaring up to the right size easy.
                Quilters never die, they just go batts.

Comment

Working...
                X