• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• easyquilts
    replied
    Re: Ready for first quilt to be stitched together

Hi... Congratulations!

If you have not washed the fabrics used in yiur quilt top, DO NIT prewash your bavking. It's best to keep everything the same....either orewash everything, KR orewash nothing (my preference)...

Looking forward to seeing a pic of yiur quilt!

Leave a comment:

• Lyndaj
    replied

Originally posted by JCY View Post
    NO! Do not pre-wash the backing if you haven't pre-washed the quilt top fabrics. I don't pre-wash anything. The dyes today are pretty safe. I don't like to remove the sizing from fabrics prior to cutting, piecing, & quilting.
    Actually, the dyes today aren't pretty safe. Recently had my first bleed of red into light blue.

Leave a comment:

• Claire OneStitchAtATime
    replied

Agree with JCY, no need to prewash. Once it is complete, use color catchers in the laundry when you wash it and all will be well. Enjoy your first quilt! Congratulations!

Leave a comment:

• JCY
    replied

NO! Do not pre-wash the backing if you haven't pre-washed the quilt top fabrics. I don't pre-wash anything. The dyes today are pretty safe. I don't like to remove the sizing from fabrics prior to cutting, piecing, & quilting.

Leave a comment:

• oldsewer
    replied

I pre-wash the backing fabric if I have reason to be concerned about dies running: red, dark purple, black, the dark, jewel tones that I have had some problems with occasionally. Particularly if the top is light or has a lot of white or light colors in it, I don't want to worry too much about dark dies running. Just my opinion.

Leave a comment:

• LauraP
    replied

Irene is right. All or nothing.

Leave a comment:

• Irene221b
    replied

don't forget to post a picture - would love to see it

Leave a comment:

• Irene221b
    replied

Hi, I only started quilting about a year ago - I am sure someone with more experience will come by with an answer. But as far as I know if you do not pre-wash the front fabrics before making the top then you would not pre-wash the back fabric. I don't pre-wash at all and so far have put 3 of my quilts through the wash and had no issues.

Leave a comment:

• Barnettca
    started a topic Ready for first quilt to be stitched together

Ready for first quilt to be stitched together

I have finally finished my first quilt top! It is so exciting. I used a layer cake and 2 charm packs. Here is my big question - do I pre wash my quilt back before taking it for quilting? The front isn't pre-washed of course, but I am not sure what to do. advice please?
Working...
X