Jelly Roll race question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jelly Roll race question

Do any of you helpful quilters have any suggestions as what jellyrolls make the nicest looking Jelly Roll race quilts? Like jelly rolls with less repeat strips, more repeats, fabrics with more contrast or fabrics that blend more. Etc.

I know what looks nice to one may not to another but just trying to get tips from those of you who have experience with this technique or have seen many of these quilts and noticed something worth noting!

Thanks in advance.
    Donna

Re: Jelly Roll race question

I think it was the first Block magazine that had a jelly roll race quilt in it and I thought it was beautiful. Normally I don't seem to like them much. It also gave the fabric line that they used.
    If you don't have that issue let me know and I'll scan the pic from my copy of the magazine and post it here.
    https://forum.missouriquiltco.com/co.../icon_wave.gif
    Women are Angels. When someone break's our wings we will continue to fly-usually on a broomstick.We're flexible like that.

Comment

I think there is some magic to a JRR quilt -- it seems that no matter the fabric/color the random surprise that results is always a beauty!

Personally, I like chain piecing mine on the diagonal (as opposed to end to end). And, be sure to make the length of the strips shorter when doing a baby quilt so you have more strips per row since the width of the baby quilt is less than that of a lap or larger quilt.
      Blessings, DramaMama

"May your bobbin always be full!"

Massdrop Refer-A-Friend link: :icon_woohoo:
      http://link.massdrop.com/54bd7c22291...of0ePjsfeAaf4b

Comment

I agree that any fabric line you like will work well. I made one for a charity out of some old plaids I inherited. Did not like the fabric, but was happily surprised when I cut strips of several plaids and did this quilt top, it looked really nice. It was a nice manly quilt.

Comment

They do end up as a sort of surprise when they are finished. I think the less repeats the better. And I've made over 50 of them! I made one out of a rainbow collection and sewed them together in color progression. The colors ended up all mixed up in the end. It is still a pretty quilt!

Here are a couple of my favorites, done in JRR2 style with a block of color between each strip. You can find these colorways still in current fabric collections.
          image.jpg
          This is Midwinter Reds. Look for Crazy For Red-- almost exactly the same

image.jpg
          This is Miss Kate. Look for Little Ruby- same colorway
          Last edited by Jean Sewing Machine; July 2, 2016, 03:59 PM.

Comment

I'm pretty sure that most jelly rolls work out fine. But, not all of them do. At least THIS one didn't. I'm still not sure what I'm going to do with it, lolol

IMG_0046.jpg

Comment

If you like placemats, just cut it into rectangles. I did that and also made a table runner from the matching charm pack.tablerunner and placemats.jpg

Comment

I bought a jelly roll that was from a line with large flower prints. It did not work out because all the flowers were chopped up.
                Quilters never die, they just go batts.

Comment

My tip is to make sure you pick RANDOM strips when stitching them together. I put mine "in order", and it looks terrible. When you start folding and stitching the long sides, the colors come out all bunched up - all the blues/pinks together at one end and reds/greens or black/yellows together someplace else on the quilt. I wanted them evenly spaced throughout, and thought if I put them all in order before I started, that would do it. It didn't! My daughters all thought it was awful, but happily, one of their friends loved it so I gave it to her.

Comment

I always mix my strips up.... It just makes me feel better, I think.... I love the JRR quilts, because they are easy, fun, and always a surprise... I thunk the JRR2 is my fav... I just saw this one from Sew Very Easy...

https://youtu.be/pdsyXSfc60M

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Comment

Originally posted by AMG View Post
                      I'm pretty sure that most jelly rolls work out fine. But, not all of them do. At least THIS one didn't. I'm still not sure what I'm going to do with it, lolol

[ATTACH=CONFIG]132780[/ATTACH]
                      I love the colors in this quilt. If you don't like it as a jelly roll race quilt, Cut across the strips, put black sashing in between and it will look like a Chinese coin quilt, or it would give it a African tribal look. I like it. I made one that I didn't care for how the colors came out, and enlarged it with multiple borders and gave it too my grandson. When I see pictures of it I wished I had kept it, but he loves it so I'm happy either way.

Comment

Working...
                      X