scant 1/4 inch presser foot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

scant 1/4 inch presser foot?

I am attempting my first quit. I am doing a lot of research and have learned that I should sew a scant 1/4 inch.
    I find it difficult and inaccurate to use tape as a guide line.

Is it possible to buy a presser foot for a scant 1/4 inch seam for a Brother cs6000i ?

Thank you for any suggestions you offer.

Re: scant 1/4 inch presser foot?

Brother makes two 1/4 presser feet that will fit the CS6000i. The SA125 does not have a guide, the SA185 has a built in guide. I purchased the SA185 foot for my Brother machine and found that it is set for a generous 1/4 inch, instead of for a scant 1/4 inch. So I recommend you purchase the foot from someplace where you can return it if it does not work for you.

You can make any foot work by moving the needle position until it is a scant 1/4 inch from the right hand side. Since your machine does not have a memory function you will have to write down this position and reset it every time you turn on the machine.
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Comment

Unfortunately, no. Are you sure you need to sew your seams at a scant 1/4"? Some direction do say to do that. If the directions are that specific, then, indeed, you should do so. Otherwise, just a 1/4" seam should be fine.

One way to sew a scant 1/4" seam with a regular 1/4" foot is to move your needle to the right. If you can move your needle to the right, without it hitting the foot, I suggest you try that. Moving the needle one or two moves should do it. Make sure you are at the middle to begin with. I know many Brother machines seem to default the needle to the left when you first turn on the machine.

If you do not have the ability to move your needle, or it hits the foot when you do move it, then you will have to do something else to get your scant 1/4". Instead of tape, some people use a post it note pack at the 1/4" or scant 1/4" mark. Because the pack is raised above the plate, it is easier to butt your material against the pack.

I hope this helps.
      If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Comment

Originally posted by DeniseSm View Post
        Brother makes two 1/4 presser feet that will fit the CS6000i. The SA125 does not have a guide, the SA185 has a built in guide. I purchased the SA185 foot for my Brother machine and found that it is set for a generous 1/4 inch, instead of for a scant 1/4 inch. So I recommend you purchase the foot from someplace where you can return it if it does not work for you.

You can make any foot work by moving the needle position until it is a scant 1/4 inch from the right hand side. Since your machine does not have a memory function you will have to write down this position and reset it every time you turn on the machine.
        Thank you.

When I searched through my Operation Manual for Brother CS6000i I understand that the needle position is not able to adjust in small increments. Maybe I am not looking in the right place or do not understand.

Both SA125 and SA185 have online reviews stating that they make accurate 1/4 inch seams not scant 1/4 inch seams. In addition both have a center hole so that the needle position in CS6000i must be in the center.

I am a new quilter and am having a hard time making sense out of using tape as a guide line when so many quilters use a scant 1/4 inch seam.

Maybe the only two choices are to buy a more expensive machine with the ability to move the needle position in small increments or to use tape. I hope this is not the true because I believe most beginners would buy a simple machine before they become true quilters and buy a more expensive machine.

The small amount really makes a difference.
        Suggestions wanted.
        Thank you.

Comment

Thank you for the information.
          Yes, I need a scant 1/4".
          I guess the only answer is adding tape to my machine.
          I guess I am odd, I think it is a shame to add a gaudy piece of tape to my machine.

Thank you all the same.

Comment

THis thread may help you: http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...i-t218782.html

Also, here is information on how to change the default needle position to the middle: http://www.brother-usa.com/FAQs/Solu...r1300&Keyword=
            If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Comment

I think that since the scant 1/4'' is a quilters measurement they don't make that foot. It's not an everyday sewers measurement. It never was for me.
              🌺 Lorie

Comment

Thank you, very much.

Comment

Thank you, for your time.

Comment

Sure,,, you can order one from Amazon....fir a very good price.

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Comment

Originally posted by cherylanne921 View Post
                      Thank you.

When I searched through my Operation Manual for Brother CS6000i I understand that the needle position is not able to adjust in small increments. Maybe I am not looking in the right place or do not understand.

Both SA125 and SA185 have online reviews stating that they make accurate 1/4 inch seams not scant 1/4 inch seams. In addition both have a center hole so that the needle position in CS6000i must be in the center.

Suggestions wanted.
                      Thank you.
                      Hi. Possibly good news. I think you may not be understanding your manual. The Brother CS6000i actually adjusts in very small increments, but not for the center stitch selection. Select either the left or right hand stitch selection and then press the plus and minus buttons for stitch width. You will see that the needle is moving in very small increments. Pick one of the narrow feet that came with your machine, like foot N, and change the stitch width until you are getting a scant 1/4 inch. It will probably be near stitch width 6.5 for foot N. Once you have the magic number figured out for your combination of fabric and thread, write the number down and remember to reset the machine every time you turn it back on.
                      Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Comment

My 1/4" foot for my Husky is 1/4 of an inch. On some triangles the directions said to make the seam a scant 1/4". The foot has a small hole where the needle goes through the plastic. So I just used a small file and made that hole a little bigger and moved my needle to the right. It worked great!
                        Katrina
                        “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

This is one of the machines I have. I just went and checked where you needed to set your needle. When you turn on your machine, the default setting is to the left. Change your setting using the bottom +/- button to 5.5 using your standard J foot. That will give you a scant 1/4". I never use this setting...I will generally have my foot set at 4.5 -5. Hope this helps.
                          Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
                          sigpic

Comment

Thank you ladies, I have been struggling with 1/4" seams since I purchased this machine months ago. So happy right now

Comment

Painters tape won't stick permanently or leave residue. I have used it many times. If you do 3-4 layers then you have a nice bit to guide the fabric.

The main thing is to be consistent. If you do 1/4" through the whole quilt and know your blocks are not going to be the exact same size- which will effect sashing and borders then you will be fine.

btw I have both feet also. The plain 1/4" foot has a an edge to help figure out scant 1/4" if I remember right. Like inside instead of outside of right guide or something along those lines.

For a first quilt I would do something easy that does not make an issue of this.

Comment

Working...
                              X