Starburt quilt -larger version?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starburt quilt -larger version?

I love that starburst quilt, but it's only 58x58. You experienced quilters, how could I enlarge it? Having a hard time trying to figure it out.

Thanks for your input!

Quilting hugs from
    Francine

Re: Starburt quilt -larger version?

There are several suggestions for making this quilt bigger in an earlier thread. Here's the link to it
    http://forum.missouriquiltco.com/sho...ight=starburst
    Cindy

Comment

I don't see why you couldn't just make more units and add them around the quilt to keep the starburst going.

Another way is to just add more borders. They can be pieced or just whole fabric borders. Pieced requires a bit more calculating. If you can piece so it exactly fits, that's great, but not always easy to accomplish. You would need to add a fill border to make it fit. FOR EXAMPLE, you want to add a flying geese border but once you make the borders for each side of the quilt there will be a gap of 2" between the body of the quilt and those pieced borders. You would need to add the difference by cutting narrow strips to fill in the empty space. I have a book that talks about the mathematical method for figuring out what size to cut the fill border but I have tried it and I couldn't get the formula to work for me. Instead I just go ahead and make the borders whatever length I choose (longer rather than shorter) so it comes out longer on all four sides than the body of the quilt. I lay it around the perimeter and then measure how much empty space needs to be filled. I also make sure to include 1/4" seams allowance where necessary.

If there is just a small amount of difference you can usually fudge by sewing some of the units together with a bit wider seam allowance or smaller depending on the case.
      Last edited by rebeccas-sewing; June 28, 2016, 11:18 AM.
      Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Comment

Seems to me you could just keep making more pieces and sewing them outward.
        Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
        Terry

Comment

Working...
        X