ruffles on quilts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ruffles on quilts

Hello... I have made a few quilts with satin ruffles. The little girls just love the satin ruffles

my question is... has anyone else put ruffles on their quilts? I would like to compare notes on how you do yours....just wondering if there is a better way than how I am doing it now

What I am doing is I make the long ruffle. I use the birthing method and pin the layers together with the ruffle inside. Then when I turn the quilt right side out I sew about 1/8" from the edge to help flatten it out

The ruffle lays nice and looks nice this way.... but sometimes its hard to get the quilt to "behave" for quilting. Like the layers don't want to lay flat and they don't seem even. I have been told by long arm quilter they will not quilt a birthed quilt.

any thoughts?

Thanks

Teresa

Re: ruffles on quilts

I think ruffled quilts are so cute! I've never done one yet, so I can't offer any advice. But I'm hoping other will post their experiences because I want to do ruffles. I'm thinking a big eyelet on a pretty white quilt....

In my head I thought it would be much like putting prairie points on a quilt. They aren't birthed.

Comment

In my head I thought it would be much like putting prairie points on a quilt. They aren't birthed.
      I have done prairie points as well... I don't birth those quilts. I am going to ponder on that method for bit

Thank you

Comment

What's even easier is to quilt first and then add the ruffle. Cut rounded corners once the quilt is quilted. Stitch the ruffle to the edge of the quilt raw edges together either on the front or the back depending on where you want the binding to show. It looks nice seeing the binding on the front. Fold your bias binding strip in half and sew it over the the ruffle's raw edge. Fold it back and hand sew in place. Just googled "How to sew the ruffle to a quilt" and this is what popped up.

Watch this video and you'll get the idea https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPe2tBLdmac

If you really want to use the birthing technique, certainly pressing it well after turning would be the first step. Channel quilting to make the process easier would be my choice. I would probably hand baste with really large stitches along the lines where I plan to quilt rather than pin basting to hold the layers together. I'd machine quilt as far apart as the batting allows per the instructions. A walking foot would be essential. Also using a longer stitch would be the way to go. I would stick with cotton or a cotton blend. Stay away from polyester. My experience is it doesn't handle as well as the other batting suggestions for this application. If FMQ is possible use a quilting design that is large with lots of space rather than any dense quilting.
        Last edited by rebeccas-sewing; June 28, 2016, 11:18 AM.
        Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Comment

I did a quilt with prairie points, and I sewed the points on the edge ( after it was quilted) and sewed a 1/2" binding over the raw edge of the prairie points and hand sewed it to the back of the quilt. Worked for me, and I think it would work for a ruffle too. That way, you can quilt the quilt normally and add the ruffle at the end of the process.

Comment

Watch this video and you'll get the idea https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPe2tBLdmac
            I have studied this video in the past and tried that. My end result just wasn't as nice as hers. Maybe I need to try this again... maybe I will do better now that I have more experience

Comment

Originally posted by anytimequilter View Post
              I have studied this video in the past and tried that. My end result just wasn't as nice as hers. Maybe I need to try this again... maybe I will do better now that I have more experience
              This would probably be a good one to use glue baste on. If you haven't tried that before, give it a shot. It really helps hold things in place for a more consistent result!

Comment

Originally posted by rebeccas-sewing View Post
                What's even easier is to quilt first and then add the ruffle. Cut rounded corners once the quilt is quilted. Stitch the ruffle to the edge of the quilt raw edges together either on the front or the back depending on where you want the binding to show. It looks nice seeing the binding on the front. Fold your bias binding strip in half and sew it over the the ruffle's raw edge. Fold it back and hand sew in place.
                LIKE, LIKE, LIKE, LIKE!!!!
                Barbara
                http://www.etsy.com/shop/CraftySweetPeas

Comment

I would do as Jean does. Basically the method as adding prairie points to the edge of a quilt. Pin the ruffle to the quilt facing inward, sew binding on. Once you flip the binding to the back the ruffle will turn outwards as well. That is the way I have always done it.
                  Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
                  sigpic

Comment

Dare I ask... What is birthing a quilt?!?!?

Comment

Originally posted by SallyO'Sews View Post
                      Dare I ask... What is birthing a quilt?!?!?
                      Sewing the top, and back right sides facing along with the batting together, leaving a small hole to turn inside out. Moat people will top stitch along the edge and generally tie the quilt. (quilting it leaves to many puckers)
                      Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
                      sigpic

Comment

My question would be, how well does the satin ruffle wear?
                        Silk doesn't wash/wear well. Children's quilts get a lot of
                        wash/wear. It may be cute, but how practical?

Comment

I got a tip of recent for silk. If you will be using silk for a quilt wash and dry in hot. If the silk has tricks up its sleeve, you can eliminate problems with parts of the fabric because of manufacturing inconsistencies.

I have actually put a ruffle on the quilt. I quilted my quilt and was left with a scalloped raw edge. adding the ruffle made the quilt. When the ruffle faced outward I had to bias bind the ruffle to the back with a small strip of fabric. The corners were very bulky.
                          http://forum.missouriquiltco.com/alb...hmentid=132719
                          Blogging ahead.....research in quilting and sewing with a dab of cooking/recipes too.

https://myquiltprojects.wordpress.com/

https://thecookbookproject.wordpress.com/

Comment

This is a nice tute.

http://www.justletmequilt.com/2013/0...ngso-easy.html
                            🌺 Lorie

Comment

Originally posted by auntiemern View Post
                              Sewing the top, and back right sides facing along with the batting together, leaving a small hole to turn inside out. Moat people will top stitch along the edge and generally tie the quilt. (quilting it leaves to many puckers)
                              When Patti was passing away I made her a lap quilt... and I did it this way. It was actually my Iron Quilter quilt. And I turned it and then quilted it. But I make a SID pass right inside the border first... So I didn't have to quilt edge to edge. Just to the SID. I had no pucker problem at all. I used flannel for the back though.

Comment

Working...
                              X