Skipped stitches while piecing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Skipped stitches while piecing

I just chain pieced a bunch of charm squares to make HSTs and now I've noticed a skipped stitch or two on almost every single one I'm going to try a number of things to fix this (I'll change to a new needle and even see if a Microtex needle helps since it's batiks, I'll rethread it, I'll switch by walking foot for a different foot if I'm still having issues...) Hopefully one of those things will work. The walking foot wasn't making loud noises or struggling so I had no idea anything was wrong. My top thread is almost completely out so maybe I should just replace it now.

Anyway, what should I do with these squares? I'm thinking of just running another short line of stitches over the goof ups. I really don't want to rip and resew all of these but I will if I need to.

Here's a particularly egregious example. Most of them have a shorter area of skipped stitches than this.-Darn it won't upload. I'll try later if it would help. I'd say the skipped areas are maybe 3x-4x as long as the proper stitches, which are set to 2.0

Thanks so much!

Re: Skipped stitches while piecing

have you tried cleaning out the bobbin area? Excess lint can cause issues.

Comment

That usually happens when machine timing is off a bit. How long since its been serviced?

Comment

Good grief. Certainly don't rip. Just go over the areas that are missing stitches. It may be time to service it by the professionals. Make sure you take a sample of the problem wtih you if it ends up needing servicing.
        Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Comment

I'm afraid to play with that since the last time I opened up the bobbin area and cleaned I messed things up and it took hours to get it right again.

Comment

My machine is only 2 months old so it's never been serviced.

Comment

Good, that's what I plan to do then! I've only had my machine for about 2, 3 months so it shouldn't need servicing yet! I only sew for a few hours a week on average.

Comment

Most often it is a burr on the needle or lint in the bobbin area. Just take a stiff brush (one should have come with your machine) and brush any lint from the bobbin area and try a new needle and you should be ok. If your stitches are small enough and it only skipped one, then I wouldn't really worry about reseaming, they should be ok.
                K is for Karen 😊​..................
                Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
                T - is it TRUE?
                H - is it HELPFUL?
                I - is it INSPIRING?
                N - is it NECESSARY?
                K - is it KIND?

Comment

OK I'll venture to clean the bobbin area again. In the places where it skipped, it skipped more than 1 stitch, I'd say 3-4.

Comment

With my machine it's almost always a dull needle. I try to put a new one in almost every project.

Comment

Originally posted by reg8 View Post
                      I'm afraid to play with that since the last time I opened up the bobbin area and cleaned I messed things up and it took hours to get it right again.
                      That would do it.

Comment

You don't need a walking foot for piecing. Use a regular foot or 1/4" foot. It could be that there was not enough pressure on the foot, because a walking foot is made for thicker uses, like quilting or sewing many layers together...but I would still clean the bobbin area and change needles.
                        Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
                        sigpic

Comment

You should master the art of cleaning the bobbin area. I know most of the problems I encounter are due to a build up of lint in that area. Did you receive a class on how to care for your machine? I was told to clean the bobbin case each time I changed the bobbin, and to clean out the entire area after each third bobbin change. I pretty much do it everytime now, just so I don't have to stop after I begin sewing again. If you did get a class, perhaps someone can show you what to do so that you don't have any more difficulties.
                          If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Comment

It could but I'd think the problem would have appeared before now. I wouldn't think there'd be a delay with a problem like that.

Comment

Opinions seem divided on using the walking foot for piecing. Since I've been using it though, don't I need to continue for the entire project to avoid any inconsistencies in the seam allowance? I could try bumping up my presser foot pressure from 3 to 4.

Comment

Working...
                              X