Layout and size question......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Layout and size question......

Hi again all. So I have my blocks completed, I think. Now I'm wondering what to do next. It looks like I may have made it a little too big? It is measuring roughly 95" by 110" and I want to put a decent sized border around it. I don't have a pattern, I am trying to wing it, according to my measurements it should be smaller than it actually is. 14" blocks + 2" borders should make it 90" what have I done wrong? I know it isn't sewn together but I overlapped and I'm not sure I'll have room for the larger border.

Isnt it supposed to be longer than wider? I am planning on making shames for this quilt.image.jpg

Re: Layout and size question......

When you say 14", are you talking about side to side measurement? If so, when you set the blocks on point, the diagonal would be 19.75". That's what is making it so big without the border. Also, your sashing is diagonal so it's not 2", it's about 2.875". That would be about 109.25" long. If you want it closer to 90" long, you could remove rows, make it 3 x 4 instead of 4 x 5. You could then use the extra blocks for your shams.
    Cindy

Comment

Great comment seaturtle!! I love it when someone else does the math for me!! This is a beautiful quilt. It sure would look great on my bed lol! I wouldn't worry about it being too big unless you are planning to use on a twin bed then it would be too big! That was a good suggestion to remove a row and use for the shams.

Comment

Gorgeous quilt!!! Yes, making them on point will make it bigger. I like bigger! I always make a few extra blocks, incase I don't like one. Then those extra ones can be pillows.
        Pieced By Me! :icon_wave:

Pre-cut Yardage Chart

Comment

Can you move some blocks you have laid out on the sides
          and move them to the bottom for more length?
          This will give you less width to allow for your border.

Comment

Beautiful color on your quilt. I really like the blocks and you did a great job arranging them. Can't wait to see it when it is all done. Please post a pic so we can see it. Great job

Comment

This is beautiful! Instead of adding a border why don't you fill in around the edges with triangles using the same blue as used in the sashing? That would "border" it without increasing the size any. And I'm not seeing any obvious top or bottom so does it matter which side is longer, or wider?

Comment

cant you just turn the blocks 90 degrees and end up with longer than wide? So far, you have done a beautiful job!
                Barbara
                http://www.etsy.com/shop/CraftySweetPeas

Comment

Capture2.JPG

This is what I referring to in my previous post about "bordering" it with the blue triangles

Comment

Working...
                  X