Assembling blocks vs. piecing the rows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Assembling blocks vs. piecing the rows

I just started making HST squares for the half square triangle quilt using the four seasons block. In the tutorial, Jenny pieces together an individual block. Is there an advantage to assembling blocks and then assembling those as opposed to laying out the whole quilt top, piecing together rows, and then sewing the rows together? I don't have a place where I can leave everything laid out, so it would be easier for me to just stack everything up correctly and sew, but I won't if there's a downside of doing it this way.

While I'm here, I may as well ask: I'm thinking of getting the Quilt in a Day Triangle ruler for trimming my HST squares but I know there are other products on the market, like the Bloc Loc. Any opinions?

Thanks!

Re: Assembling blocks vs. piecing the rows

The square-up triangle ruler is great since you only trim two sides. However, I think there is more accuracy pressing open the HST first and then squaring all four sides. I rarely use the triangle version. I would recommend you buy the Bloc Loc or use a square-up ruler (gives you more sizes). They both give very accurate HST's. Personally, I also think it's good practice to finger press them open rather than press them open. Certainly press open with no steam and handle as little as possible.

I would construct yours as Jenny does hers. Can you lay out your blocks on the floor and take a picture of it so you can refer to it for placement? If you need to stack, I would suggest picking up a row of blocks from left to right or right to left. Just be consistent in your choice. Pin a label on the first block in each row naming the row. That way you can stack them and not get anything mixed up.
    Last edited by rebeccas-sewing; June 25, 2016, 11:31 AM.
    Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Comment

Thank you. Don't you need to press seams to the side to make the Bloc Loc work? I am making my HST's by making two seams on the diagonal so my edges aren't on the bias, so I am not as concerned about distortion as I would be if they were, but I understand that since the seam is on the bias, it can stretch.

It's good to hear traditional squaring rulers may be more accurate, but I may be willing to make that trade off for a significantly lower purchase price and efficiency right now. I need to make 400 HST squares and making 800 cuts as opposed to 1600 would be much easier on my wrist, not to mention faster. Thanks!

Comment

I made this quilt and assembled the blocks first.
        Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
        sigpic

Comment

I don't like Bloc Loc rulers, okay call me crazy. I gave mine away to someone here on the Forum. Give me a CG 6-1/2 or 12" square ruler any day! But if you must go the BL route they are very pricey so if possible see if you can borrow one from a friend first and try it out. The Creative Grids are expensive too but you can use them for more things.

Comment

The Blok-Locs are cheaper on Ebay, shipping too.
            🌺 Lorie

Comment

I've never used that Bloc Loc ruler--don't own one. Any square ruler with the diagonal line will work. I use my Creative Grids 6.5" square for that size or smaller. I use my 12.5" CG ruler for larger HSTs. I didn't check that tutorial to see how it was assembled, but I freq. sew smaller blocks into a larger 12.5" block, then sew those rows together. I lay my quilt out on the floor, then sew the rows together. If you are careful with the pressing as you go along, the seams will nest nicely. I number each row and also use an arrow to indicate which direction the seams are sown.

Comment

You can do either way, but making the blocks first, results in less pieces to become miss placed.
                If you turn a wrong corner in one block, you only have to fix one block. If you make a row wrong and don't see it until 4 rows down, that's a lot of stitches to remove.
                I also keep my first block out, hanging on the wall where I am working to refer back to and make sure I am doing ther others correctly. When all the blocks are done, I square them up [yes I square up my HST's after making them and before sewing into blocks] and then lay them out. Then a take a picture and walk away for a bit. Then I look at the picture with fresh eyes to check for miss placed blocks, or wrong turned HST's. Then I stack and sew, and check against my picture a lot!

I haven't seen the loc block ruler for HST's but I did notice the regular long loc blocks, have no markings on them, so you'd have to use the lines on your mat. Continous cutting on the lines in your mat will result in premature wear. I have 6 sizes of square rulers, 6.5, 9, 10.5, 12.5, 15 and even 20.5 that I use. I didn't buy them all at once, but I use them all.
                Last edited by PrettyCurious; June 26, 2016, 03:41 AM.
                Pieced By Me! :icon_wave:

Pre-cut Yardage Chart

Comment

A bloc loc ruler and a rotating mat make trimming hst units a breeze - but is necessary to have seams pressed to one side for it to work

Comment

Its your quilt. Do it whichever way you are comfortable with.

Comment

Originally posted by PrettyCurious View Post
                      You can do either way, but making the blocks first, results in less pieces to become miss placed.
                      If you turn a wrong corner in one block, you only have to fix one block. If you make a row wrong and don't see it until 4 rows down, that's a lot of stitches to remove.
                      That's a very good point that I hadn't considered! Thank you. If I do decide to do rows, I will have to compare them to a picture each row.

Comment

It is but since I'm very new to this I wanted to make sure I understood the reasons for choosing either way.

Comment

I'm happy this question came up. I have a simple charm pack quilt on my design wall. I was dreading flipping them over into rows. I always lose their places. Never thought to make blocks out of them.

Never a dumb question.
                          🌺 Lorie

Comment

I tend to do the blocks first and then use Bonnie Hunter's webbing the top technique http://http://quiltville.blogspot.co...titch.html?m=1

I get less blocks turned around between design wall and sewing machine this way. You can use a cheap plastic table cloth with a felt or flannel backing as your design wall. You can roll it up when not working on it and the blocks stay where you need them to be.

Whichever way you decide to do it (your quilt - your rules), happy stitching!
                            Lisa

M*QC forum is full of the best people!

I'm not just buying fabric, I am supporting the economy...

A bad day in the sewing room is better than a good day at the office.

Comment

I like for my seams to nest, and I find that if I make a quilt (similar to the one you are making) row by row instead of making blocks, I don't have problems with two seams that come together and both seams are going the same way....if that makes sense to you. Often when I make blocks and then try to set them together, I find I have pressed and sewn seams in the wrong direction and then when I put two blocks together I can't nest the seams.

Comment

Working...
                              X