What kind of batting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What kind of batting

I want to start making a couple of baby quilts for my Niece who is expecting twins (don't know the gender yet) and wanted to know what would be the best type of batting to use in the quilts. I had used Warm and Natural cotton batting for some of my other quilts and wondered if this would be best for baby quilts. Thanks.
    Barbara :icon_bigsmile:

Re: What kind of batting

I use Quilters Dream 70/30 for baby quilts... Has a wonderful drape. Does not rip when you pull it and is very snuggly.

Ginny

Comment

My dd and I use Quilters Dream. Nice and soft.

I buy 100% cotton, because that's what my shop carries.
      Last edited by Hulamoon; June 25, 2016, 10:00 AM.
      🌺 Lorie

Comment

I use nothing but Hobbs 80/20 for everything. I make a lot of baby quilts.

Comment

I didn't realize it was better to use a different one for baby quilts I use warm and natural for all my quilts even baby ones guess I'm gonna try the others lol
          sigpicHawaiigrammi

Comment

Do not use warm and plush. It is a beast to quilt through!

Comment

I've used Warm & Whute, but lately have bern using an 80/20.. Having said thst,,, my very favorite batting is Mountain Mist's Cream Rose.., it's all cotton, and super soft... But, I can't always get it...

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Comment

Originally posted by Hulamoon View Post
                My dd and I use Quilters Dream. Nice and soft.

I buy 100% cotton, because that's what my shop carries.
                I would suggest Hobbs 80/20. I just finished a quilt with Quilters Dream 100% cotton. It does have a wonderful drape, but for some reason it was extremely "linty" on this project and I seemed to have a reaction to it. Have used QD before and do not recall this issue.

Comment

Originally posted by easyquilts View Post
                  I've used Warm & Whute, but lately have bern using an 80/20.. Having said thst,,, my very favorite batting is Mountain Mist's Cream Rose.., it's all cotton, and super soft... But, I can't always get it...
                  I had a large roll of that and it was soft. Any time I sandwiched a quilt it took longer because I kept petting the batting.
                  Quilters never die, they just go batts.

Comment

Quilter's Dream has a fire-resistant batting, which I would definitely want to use in a baby quilt....
                    Tenacity: The quality or fact of being very determined; determination.

Comment

My preference is always Mountain Mist Cream Rose, but because I no longer drive, due to vision issues, I've been using the Fairfiekd 80/20, which is carried by WM... It's pretty good... I haven't had any problems with it...

My neice had tend, too! Annie and .joey... They are four now, and so much fun....

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Comment

I found some polyester batting in a fabric store. Is there some reason why this wouldn't be good for a lab quilt to be used outdoors?
                        It was inexpensive and relatively thin (about an inch in thickness). Does cotton batting ever shrink?

Thanks for the help and advice!

Comment

I work at a JoAnns, and we sell Mountain Mist Cream Rose. It's what I usually use, and yes, it's very soft

Comment

Originally posted by CraftyBarb View Post
                            I want to start making a couple of baby quilts for my Niece who is expecting twins (don't know the gender yet) and wanted to know what would be the best type of batting to use in the quilts. I had used Warm and Natural cotton batting for some of my other quilts and wondered if this would be best for baby quilts. Thanks.
                            I learned the hard way that for baby/child quilts, use 100 percent cotton, or at least 80/20 and not 100 percent poly. I made a baby quilt for a new family and the dad is an ER RN. He told me poly quilts are a horror story for babies/children in the event of fire because they melt. Here is link to an article on the subject. http://www.imqa.org/media/uploads/20...Fall2011_1.pdf
                            Last edited by kgirlmom; July 3, 2016, 07:07 AM. Reason: add article on batting

Comment

I also use Hobbs 80/20 for everything. I do a lot of childrens donation quilts. It also works in my quilts the foot quilts and any runners I make. Makes it easy to only stock 1 type.
                              sigpic:icon_hug: Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
                              Time spent with cats is never wasted.
                              Sigmund Freud

Comment

Working...
                              X