Which foot do you use for piecing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which foot do you use for piecing?

I've been using a "regular" foot for piecing. I put my needle all the way to the right and have placed tape on the side to mark my scant quarter inch. It has worked pretty well, but I'm always looking to make things easier on myself and improve my seams. I was wondering if the type of foot made a difference. It has been recommended to me that I use a 1/4 in foot to make it easier, but I've been hesitant to buy one. And if I am using a scant 1/4 in, what's the point of using a 1/4 in foot, since it's based on a true 1/4 in? Any suggestions?

Re: Which foot do you use for piecing?

Buy a 1/4'' foot. What machine do you have?
    🌺 Lorie

Comment

I use my regular foot...but have used 2 different kinds of 1/4" foot. One has the blade for a guide and the other just has the hole in the middle which the needle can move just a smidge to the right to make a scant 1/4". Do what is most comfortable for you.
      Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Hulamoon View Post
        Buy a 1/4'' foot. What machine do you have?
        Babylock Rachel

Comment

Go ahead.... Buy a quarter inch foot...the kind with a flange on the side.... You'll be glad you did...

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Comment

I have a Babylock too. Unless you can buy accessories from a dealer you can't buy online. Brother has the same part.

https://www.amazon.com/Brother-SA185.../dp/B001H61A6Y

You will love it!
            🌺 Lorie

Comment

Originally posted by Hulamoon View Post
              I have a Babylock too. Unless you can buy accessories from a dealer you can't buy online. Brother has the same part.

https://www.amazon.com/Brother-SA185.../dp/B001H61A6Y

You will love it!
              Can this be used for a scant 1/4 in? This looks worth buying for sure.

Comment

I use a 1/4" foot. It's the kind with a guide along the edge. I really like it.

My friend has a 1/4" foot for her Brother but hates it. I think it is because the guide is flat on the front edge and pins get caught there. With my 1/4" foot, it is sloped a bit, so pins don't get stuck. Sometimes you need to keep a pin in the material almost to the needle.

I have another 1/4" foot, but I don't like it much because it doesn't have 1/4" marks in front of the foot.

Comment

Use the foot that makes the best seam for you. Sometimes I use a 1/4" foot and other times I use the regular foot and move the needle. It depends of what I'm making.
                  sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

I used the removable adjustable guide while piecing my last quilt, and didn't like it much either, due to the pins knocking against it. and often a stray thread would get caught up in it. I haven't tried the 1/4" foot with the flange that sticks up yet. (New machine)

Comment

I use my standard "J" foot (Babylock/Brother) and just move the needle over. I hate the 1/4 inch foot with the guide - have one without but don't use it a lot either because the leading edge of the foot catches on diagonal fabric edges

Comment

Originally posted by easyquilts View Post
                        Go ahead.... Buy a quarter inch foot...the kind with a flange on the side.... You'll be glad you did...
                        Personally, I hate the feet with the flange on the side. In fact, I ripped it off of my Janome 1/4" foot.

Comment

Originally posted by Mary Ann View Post
                          I use my standard "J" foot (Babylock/Brother) and just move the needle over. I hate the 1/4 inch foot with the guide - have one without but don't use it a lot either because the leading edge of the foot catches on diagonal fabric edges
                          Ditto. I also use the J foot on my Brother and move the needle. I have a 1/4 inch foot from my cheapie Brother that I will occasionally use because I also don't like the one with the guide. I say, use whatever works for you but if you decide to try a different foot method be sure to NOT change mid-project or you risk inconsistent seams
                          Slainte!

Liz

:icon_pcnoob:

Comment

Thanks everyone! Good advice from all.

Comment

Originally posted by Mary Ann View Post
                              Just out of curiosity, if you use a scant quarter inch how do you mark yours? I'm using some sort of rubbery tape I got in the quilt store. It works for me, since I'm not real comfortable sewing a scant yet. It sometimes will catch my thread on a piece, though.

Comment

Working...
                              X