Help With Layout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help With Layout

I am working on an ABC Eye-Spy quilt. Totally making this up as I go along. My plan was to do 5 across 5 down so it would end up being about 68" square. Letter Z would be on the back. I want this to fit a twin bed, I think. Lol. I still don't really know the purpose or recipient of this quilt. Would it be better to do 4 across and 6 down. Putting Y and Z on the back? Or 4 across and 7 down with Y and Z on their own row somehow? Picture isn't very good. I'm creating 9-patch blocks with 5" squares. 4 eye-spy fabrics, 4 black and an alphabet letter. image.jpeg
    Last edited by Longstocking; June 23, 2016, 10:02 PM.

Re: Help With Layout

What you have done is cute. If you could figure out some how to put all of the letters on the front would be a good idea since you don't know who the quilt might be going to. A child whose name starts with a Z, with his/her lone letter Z on the back might not understand why it is not with the rest of the letters.

Comment

You could do all the ABC's plus some numbers. Little one's can count too.
      Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
      Terry

Comment

I would add more rows to keep all letters on the
        quilt top. Plus a lap quilt should be longer,
        making it more usable than a square quilt.
        Keep up the good work, what you have so far looks great.
        Sounds as though this will be a child's quilt,
        Children love bright colors, children's fabrics.

Comment

how about a shape block in each row, square, triangle, round, rectangle, stop sign shape (I know it has a name but that's what the kids call it). I really like this. It is suitable for either sex and quite an age range. Nice to see something not so "baby".
          sigpic

Comment

instead of a spacer block between each letter why not try out AB together, then a spacer, then CD and a spacer, or vary how many letters you put together 2, or 3 then a space, lay it out on the floor and see what works, break all the rules you think you have to follow.

Comment

I would do 5 x 6 blocks and make 4 of the extra blocks go in the corners. They could be plain 9 patch blocks. Then add borders to get it twin size.

Comment

I'm with mpattylou - 5x6 with non-letter corner blocks.

Comment

Working...
                X