Border help needed??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Border help needed??

Hi everyone. I messed up adding my border to a quilt. I measured my quilt (top, center and bottom) when I finished and my middle measurements both (horizontally and vertically) are each one inch wider the the other measurements. I really cannot imagine ripping out the borders on the entire quit.

If I add another colour of border around the quilt....should I take the average of the three measurements or should I just cut the birder strip to match the longest measurement and try to incorporate that extra inch when adding the final border colour to my quilt.

I absolutely hate adding borders but I really needed the extra size so I thought I would go ahead and add three different borders. WHAT WAS I THINKING😕😕😕

Thanks fir any input.
    Shelley

Re: Border help needed??

It is typical for the outside edges of a quilt to stretch. It is the nature of the construction process. Jinny Beyer teaches to use the measurement horizontally and vertically at the center of the quilt. Do not take the average, or the longest measurement. Cut your borders to match the center dimension, and stretch or ease as necessary to get it to fit.

I get the best results when I pin at least every two inches.

Good luck.
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Comment

I learn new stuff here everyday
      Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
      Terry

Comment

Thank you so much...I will give this a try today.
        Shelley

Comment

" Jinny Beyer teaches to use the measurement horizontally and vertically at the center of the quilt. Do not take the average, or the longest measurement. Cut your borders to match the center dimension, and stretch or ease as necessary to get it to fit. "

yep - this is what I was taught at my first quilting class. She actually had us sew together enough strips to do both sides (or the top and bottom) - fold the strip in half and lay it in the center of the quilt top. Let any extra hang off the bottom. Use a few pins on the length to make sure it is laying flat and then cut it even with the bottom of your quilt. This will give you both sides in one cut and she said it helps distribute any seams in the border so it doesn't end up at the same spot on both sides. Then you just stretch or ease the borders to fit.
          Debbie

Comment

Working...
          X