Chain piecing squares on point?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chain piecing squares on point?

Hello! I just bought a bunch of lovely batik charm packs and I think I want to just set all the squares on point and piece them together. I know that I need to cut and attach setting triangles, but I'd like to do that once I have the rows together and have chosen a color for them. My question is this: Can/should I chain piece my rows? Or is it going to be too confusing since they're all different lengths? I am planning to piece the rows as per this tutorial: http://quiltbug.com/articles/on-point.htm. I would definitely have to draw a diagram in order to keep everything straight; I could number all of the squares on my diagram and then stack them accordingly. I suppose beginning with the longest diagonal row would be easiest. Thanks!

Re: Chain piecing squares on point?

I just completed a set-on-point quilt. I laid the entire quilt out on a bed first. I always start from left to right. I picked up a row keeping the patches in the order in which they need to be sewn together. I carried the stack to my machine in the other room and sewed together that first row. I pressed it and laid it back down in its original spot. I continued doing this for each row of the quilt. Once I had all rows constructed I started (from the left) sewing the rows together to finish the top. Your setting triangles should be sewn on as you sew together each row.
    Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Comment

I recently did my first "on point" quilt, and I started at the top placing it on a board covered with batting and flannel. Then used it as my guide, sewing each next row and pinning that row up on the board so I'd know where I was, and what block was going to go where in the next row. My board is sitting on top of a love seat, so when it got too big to fit on the board, I laid the rows on the love seat, and sewed those together, 4 rows per strips until I got to the last corner. Then I started sewing the row-sets to the other row sets. Mine was only 72" square.

20160320_174638.jpg

20160417_124349.jpg

Finished

20160508_114911.jpg
      Pieced By Me! :icon_wave:

Pre-cut Yardage Chart

Comment

Originally posted by rebeccas-sewing View Post
        I just completed a set-on-point quilt. I laid the entire quilt out on a bed first. I always start from left to right. I picked up a row keeping the patches in the order in which they need to be sewn together. I carried the stack to my machine in the other room and sewed together that first row. I pressed it and laid it back down in its original spot. I continued doing this for each row of the quilt. Once I had all rows constructed I started (from the left) sewing the rows together to finish the top. Your setting triangles should be sewn on as you sew together each row.
        Exactly. You can absolutely chain piece the rows, it just requires a little more organization - especially if you have a specific 'order' you want the squares to be laid out in as well as keeping track of the length of each 'row'. The one time I set blocks on point, I got all the rows figured out first and laid things out on guest bed. Once I had the squares in the rows to my satisfaction, then I calculated the size of side and end triangles. I actually deliberately sized the triangles a bit bigger than I needed, then trimmed to size twice. So, I trimmed the triangles first after I had them attached to each row. And then I trimmed them again if needed once I had the rows attached to each other. I like the McCalls tutorial on this:
        http://www.mccallsquilting.com/mccal...ocks_On_Point_
        Slainte!

Liz

:icon_pcnoob:

Comment

Thank you all for the help! I've decided to go with a different pattern for now, but this will be very handy in the future.

Comment

Working...
          X