Add a border, or no?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Add a border, or no?

I have no yardage of any of the prints in this quilt so I'm thinking of adding a white framing border. I'm also thinking of backing and binding in white. What are your thoughts? Too much white?

30's Quilt.jpg
    Robin
    My Pinterest Page of the Quilts I've Made: http://www.pinterest.com/rwmomto3/quilts-ive-made/

Re: Add a border, or no?

For me it would depend on how it will be used. It would be beautiful with the white. If you have some fat quarters and/or scraps you could just make a scrappy backing. Two quilts in one.
    Karen
    Life is short - Live everyday to the fullest

Comment

I don't think it will be too much white. There is a good deal of color in the quilt. I do agree, that how the quilt will be used (or by whom) would be a determining factor for the white.
      If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Comment

I think if it's for a younger person I would add a colored border.
        :icon_wave:Joan

Comment

Beautiful no matter what you use. Love the repro fabrics.
          Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
          sigpic

Comment

The colors in your quilt are similar to the Double Wedding Ring quilt my grandma made about 80 years ago. She backed it in a light yellow and used the same fabric for the binding. How do you think you'd like something like that?
            pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

I think a white border would be perfect that way your points won't be chopped off when the binding is put on.

Can you match up a solid with one of the colors in the top? I solid red or yellow would be pretty.

Gorgeous top btw!
              Vonnie

Comment

Vonnie made a good point. By adding the framing border your points won't be compromised. I think the white would be nice, Robin. I love the clean look of white with 30's prints. I think a pastel solid would make a nice binding.
                sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

I would choose a colored border. Choose a color used in the quilt.
                  Maybe a marbled fabric. You can audition colors to
                  see what color works best.
                  I think a white border would be too much white.
                  Plus the border is where the quilt will be handled
                  and show stains. Make the binding the same color.

Comment

I think with all the cheerful happy colors, the quilt would wilt with just white on the borders and binding. I would suggest a pop of red, or blue, or yellow.......or even a flanged border with 2 colors. I have never really liked white binding as I feel it show dirt and wear faster. The plain white back would be fine, especially if you have the pop of color on the edge from the binding. Just my thoughts.......

Comment

Karen's question is a very good one - how will the quilt be used? White will show every small stain or smudge. You don't want to be afraid to use it. I'd add a print border, back and binding, with a small white inner border. You don't have to use one of the prints in the top, just another print that goes well with them. Adding another print to the quilt will add to its beauty. And it is beautiful! You did a wonderful job.
                      Cyndi

“Have courage for the great sorrows of life and patience for the small ones; and when you have laboriously accomplished your daily task, go to sleep in peace. God is awake.” - Victor Hugo

Comment

I LOVE the idea for a white border and white backing with this one!!! CLASSIC!!!!!
                        Happy Quilting!

Comment

I like the idea of yellow!
                          :icon_rolleyes:

Comment

Originally posted by Mom23 View Post
                            ... Too much white?
                            For me there is no such thing as too much white. I agree a white border will save those points on binding. I might go with a brightly colored binding, though. That is a beautiful quilt.

Comment

I would be tempted to leave off a border and pop it with a red binding. If you are concerned about the points while binding you could float it in a white border, but a narrow one. Love the top.

Comment

Working...
                              X