Backing fabric question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Backing fabric question

When you are cutting the backing for the quilt is is necessary to cut the edge where it comes off the bolt or can I just sew them together. Every time I cut it off I never seem to get or cut it perfectly straight and my back comes out wonky so I'm thinking of leaving the edging on. Any thoughts? Mahalo
    Attached Files
    sigpicHawaiigrammi

Re: Backing fabric question

Sandy, you need to cut the selvedge edges off the fabric because it's woven much tighter than the rest of the fabric and it shrinks at a different rate. What I do is to put those edges together and stitch a large seam and then trim it off to 5/8" or so and give it a good press.
    sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

I do the same as Barb.

Comment

Originally posted by Bubby View Post
        Sandy, you need to cut the selvedge edges off the fabric because it's woven much tighter than the rest of the fabric and it shrinks at a different rate. What I do is to put those edges together and stitch a large seam and then trim it off to 5/8" or so and give it a good press.
        OK I'll do this crossing fingers lol every time I cut the sides of its never straight
        sigpicHawaiigrammi

Comment

Originally posted by Bubby View Post
          How much past the edge
          sigpicHawaiigrammi

Comment

It's not sewing past the edge of the fabric you have to worry about. It's sewing past the selvage, because you want to cut the selvage off after sewing your seam. A bit over quarter or a full half inch past the selvage should do it. Then you can safely trim off the selvage.
            Some selvages have little holes in them also, so you really want to cut the selvage all off.
            Pieced By Me! :icon_wave:

Pre-cut Yardage Chart

Comment

Originally posted by PrettyCurious View Post
              It's not sewing past the edge of the fabric you have to worry about. It's sewing past the selvage, because you want to cut the selvage off after sewing your seam. A bit over quarter or a full half inch past the selvage should do it. Then you can safely trim off the selvage.
              Some selvages have little holes in them also, so you really want to cut the selvage all off.
              OK thamks for your help love this group lol
              sigpicHawaiigrammi

Comment

When I make baby quilts, I back them with WOF yardage. Because I usually don't have a lot of extra fabric on the sides, I trim the selvedge just inside the little holes in the fabric. If you fold the yardage so the selvedge edges are lined up evenly, it's easy to trim that off & have a straight line. If you're piecing the backing, always have even edges to sew together. I usually make the seam 1/2" & press the edges open.

Comment

I usually use my serger to join the back pieces and just set the fabric where the selvedge is cut off by the blades.

Comment

I rip my backing fabric on all edges before piecing it together. I get a near perfect squared-up backing by ripping.

Comment

Working...
                    X