Hand quilters and Minkee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hand quilters and Minkee

Oh shirleyknot and any other hq out there! My dd wants me to make a chevron quilt for my gd. The top will be Sumatra II batiks (which personally I think are kind of ugly) and Kona Snow. She wants me to put Minkee on the back. I have never worked with Minkee before so anyone care to comment it would be much appreciated!!

Re: Hand quilters and Minkee

I love my hand quilting, but NOT with minkee on the back.

Comment

Could you tie it rather than quilt it?

Comment

I would think between the high thread count of the batik and the Minkee backing it would be difficult to hand quilt. Just some simple machine quilting would probably be better. Straight line with a walking foot should be fairly easy.

Comment

Minkee tends to not let your hand sewing needle slide through very easily.

Comment

Minkee is very slippery and tends to slide forward as you sew it on the machine, you need lots of pins and it is still going to slide.

Comment

Spray basting is your friend. You can always wash it afterwards.

If you use your walking foot, make sure you lengthen your stitch to about a "3".

Don't do "dense" quilting.

A large meander would be a good idea.

I don't like to use batting with minkee. If I put anything inbetween it will be flannel (washed and dried twice).

One quilt I did I quilted the top to the flannel then I placed the top/flannel on top of the minkee (spray basted together) then did a few seams across to attach it the minkee.

Whenever I use minkee I don't using binding. I just bring the backing to the top and hem it down. The minkee is stronger than any binding fabric out there. I do the same thing with fleece.

Depending on your machine, you might need to lessen the pressure on the pressor foot.

Good luck!
              Vonnie

Comment

I made this baby quilt a few years ago, using the "plushy fleece" at Wal-Mart; it is not as slick as Minky. And I did a dense hand quilt design on it with spray adhesive.

thompson baby 3.jpg

thompson baby 2.jpg
                Sherri

"Don't let someone else's ugly spoil your beautiful. " Thanks, Bubby!!!!!!

Comment

Did everyone miss that she wants to hand quilt it?

Comment

I noticed, Sweet shirleyknot!
                    Sherri

"Don't let someone else's ugly spoil your beautiful. " Thanks, Bubby!!!!!!

Comment

Oh, no.... I would NEVER attempt to hand quilt a Minkee backed quilt..... The batiks might be a problem too....although I have never hand quilted batik fabrics...,

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Comment

I haven't worked with Minkee so I don't know how that would be to hand quilt. I've hand quilted batiks and had no problems with it.

Comment

Working...
                        X