Ideas for a quilt color

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ideas for a quilt color

I am looking for quilt ideas and colors for quilts for my sons in the military. One is Army, one Navy and one Air Force.

No flowers or girly patterns, any suggestions?

Re: Ideas for a quilt color

I made one for a person in the Navy, and scanned ther FB page, got a feel for her colors, and ended up using a print of her favorite flower, plus colors of her favorite home town college team [LSU], since she often roots for them.
    The pattern I used is my avatar, so it's not a girly pattern even though one of the fabrics is a sunflower print.
    Maybe it's different for guys, but I figure she is surounded by military symbols and colors, and I wanted to give her something not military looking.
    Pieced By Me! :icon_wave:

Pre-cut Yardage Chart

Comment

Well, any of this should work as far as fabric for all three branches of the military.....

https://www.missouriquiltco.com/shop/browse/648

The pattern I would pick? This one...I did a test block with Navy fabrics and it will go together fast!

IMAG0416.jpg

http://quiltingtutorials.com/all/big...quilting-easy/
      Sherri

"Don't let someone else's ugly spoil your beautiful. " Thanks, Bubby!!!!!!

Comment

Not sure if you are thinking of a military related pattern and fabrics or something just related to their home decorating tastes and interests/hobbies. I always try to figure out what colors the person gravitates toward in their dress if there isn't a hobby/school loyalty/sport they are really involved in. Then I go from there if nothing notable emerges. Batiks are always a safe choice for men and there is enough variety in the lighter shades that you can avoid the flowers. Or solids if they like more modern styles and decor.

Comment

You can get Army, Navy, and Ait Force fabric.... I saw some very nice Air Force fabric at Joann's...and I know you can find all three online.

You must be so proud of your sons... We all thank them for their service...

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Comment

I asked my youngest son who is in the Army if he wanted a military themed quilt and he didn't. I then asked well if you had to pick, which color do you like green or blue. "Well" he said, "I like them both." "If I buy tee shirts I get blue but if I buy golf type shirts I buy green." I made him a quilt with plaids!
            :icon_happy:

sigpic

Comment

You can do the quilt with either the fabrics of their branch or patriotic fabrics. Missouri Star always carries a line of Patriotic fabrics.

Once you decide the fabrics... the pattern can be about anything. If you want easy and fast.. I'd do the Disappearing Nine Patch or the Double Slice Layer Cake. Those are the to easiest quilt patterns I have done. Next would be a Falling Charms and it looks really good in patriotic fabrics ... I did one of those. The Wonky Star Charm Pack quilt is a great military quilt. I used a Snowballed friendship Star block for mine, and my Marine son loved it.

Comment

You could do a red,white and blue rail fence,or you could do a Carpenters wheel in the colors you like.
                :icon_wave:Joan

Comment

Connecting Threads has some red/white/blue patriotic precuts on sale!
                  I think I saw it was about $3 for 48 charms.
                  Don't recall the price of FQs, etc.

I would also concur with a post above re: find out if they want a US/military-themed quilt; they may not.

Lastly, I think guys would like a jelly roll race quilt or some squares sewn together -- nothing elaborate.

I thank them for their service! Prayers and blessings to them and you.
                  Blessings, DramaMama

"May your bobbin always be full!"

Massdrop Refer-A-Friend link: :icon_woohoo:
                  http://link.massdrop.com/54bd7c22291...of0ePjsfeAaf4b

Comment

There a thread called "Day and Night Quilt" that has a gorgeous quilt with 2 colors. You can do blocks with red and white and/or blue and white. I think it would be great and just so you don't used girly fabric, it's wouldn't be a girly quilt.
                    One yard of fabric, like one cookie, is never enough!

Comment

If you chose a red, white, & blue theme - there are many quilt of valor patterns that are beautiful.

Comment

Working...
                      X