I'm in need of a little help here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm in need of a little help here

Need border assistance, please! I'm preparing my border to attach to the MSQC Flock of Geese quilt top. I'm just not sure if the quilt sandwich gets quilted first and then the border is added, or if the border is attached prior to being quilted. I need a little guidance and clarification there. Also, what about the reverse side? Will the border fold over after its quilted and then be attached to the backside, or does the back not get the border, and it's just bound all around? Make sense? The directions on the video are vague, and I'm too new at this to know which way is "proper" or "correct".

Thanks in advance!

Re: I'm in need of a little help here

I type slow so someone will probably answer before me. lol. The border is part of the top, so the back would be the same measurements as that. Then after doing all the layers you put on the binding. Plenty of tutes on that. You could put a border on both sides , but is not really a used application that I see very often.
    🌺 Lorie

Comment

The border is part of the top and is attached usually before quilting. The back would be completely separate, and a binding applied after the quilting process is complete.

Comment

Just add the borders to your quilt and then make your quilt sandwich, top - batting - backing fabric (batting and backing both need to be about 3-4 inches bigger than the top on all sides). Pin or spray base them together. OK, Now you are ready to quilt. After you finish quilting you cut the 3 layers even and add the binding. Maybe someone can suggest a video tutorial as it's easy to understand the steps if you can see them being made.
        Last edited by MayinJerset; June 16, 2016, 06:58 PM.

Comment

Are you quilting the quilt yourself or having someone with a longarm do the quilting? It makes a different in what size you cut the backing. If you send it to a LA, you need to allow an extra 4" all the way around, bigger than the quilt top. If you quilt it yourself, you can get by with a little less fabric. Borders always get added to quilt top prior to the sandwiching & quilting.

I've watched Jenny's video on binding, & I don't do it that way. There should be info. on the web on how to bind a quilt. You need long enough binding for the perimeter of your quilt (add up all 4 sides), then add at least 10". I have my binding strips all sewn together, using the angled seams,First COC Quilt & Applique - May 2016 006.jpgFirst COC Quilt & Applique - May 2016 007.jpgFirst COC Quilt & Applique - May 2016 008.jpg prior to the quilting process so I don't have to switch presser feet. I wrap the binding strips around a cardboard tube & hand it around my neck so the binding feeds out gradually & you're not stepping on it or getting it caught in the legs of the chair. (See pics.)

Once your quilt is quilted, square the corners & trim the sides. Now it's ready for the binding. Fold the binding in half (it doesn't need to be pressed) & stitch it on the front side of the quilt, making square corners at the 4 corners. Leave enough space so you'll have room to attach the 2 ends of the binding, then close the opening. Turn the binding over to the back side. Clip extra threads. Using a sewing gauge, fold & pin the exact measurement all the way around, press, then stitch in the ditch using a walking foot on the front side of the quilt. If you've hemmed accurately, it will catch the edge of the binding on the back.

If this is the first time you've done binding, you might want to practice on a 12 x 12" practice sandwich until you feel comfortable with the process. That's how we learned in my first class--using hot pads & small sandwiches. Good luck!

Comment

I just saw some nice binding tutorials on jaybird quilts today. http://www.jaybirdquilts.com/p/tutorials.html
            If you want a regular binding, Jenny also has several good video binding tutorials also.

Comment

Like the above responses said...
              You'll sew the border onto your quilt top. Then measure the whole quilt top. Your backing should be the same size plus a few extra inches on each of the four sides. Make your quilt sandwich (top, batting, backing) and quilt through all the layers. Once you're finished quilting, trim off the excess batting and backing. Sew on the binding.

Comment

There is a bit of a trick to getting a nice corner on your binding. Jenny shows how to do it in a tute.

Comment

I love your idea of putting the binding on a cardboard tube!
                  Bec

Comment

Working...
                  X