im ready (I think)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

im ready (I think)

gonna put together a SIMPLE quilt for my DGD she is having a real hard time, her mother put here in counseling, she was talking about hurting herself writing songs about she is dying inside. Scaring us all. I would love to make her a quilt with silky material so i am looking for some really simple patterns. any suggestions would be welcome. thank you all in advance.

Re: im ready (I think)

If you are using something other than quilter's cotton, I would say the simpler the better. Just squares, or a combination of squares and half-squares might do the trick. Some of that silky feeling fabric is slippery as an eel.
    Hugs to your DGD. IS she a teenager? They go through some painful things, and feel so much more intensely than we do as we get old. I remember that, even though it's been a half a century ago.

Comment

My granddaughter went thru that and so I used her favorite colors. Then I made a cover for her journals to match the quilt. I made blocks our of 2x3.5 inch strips and then turned the blocks different directions. My prayers are with her and your family.
      :icon_wave:

Comment

Take a look at Jrnny's Double Sliced quilt..... It's super simple, and goes together very quickly.... It's a layer cake quilt...

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Comment

How about just quilting two large silky pieces and let the quilting be the design. Perhaps happy quilting with her name and hearts and rainbows and star bursts. Lots of love. You could FMQ with heavy quilting and really make it sing to her. Each time she ran her hand over it she would discover something new. Little sayings, quotes like "what if you woke up tomorrow and you only had the things you thanked God for yesterday". Maybe she could be inspired.
          Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
          Terry

Comment

Sending prayers i have a GD also but shes very quiet never know what she's thinking. If you want i can send you some beautifil �� Hawaiian prints i would �� to.
            sigpicHawaiigrammi

Comment

wow, you guys come up with some great ideas, and comforting to know that she is not alone in this kids grow up to fast now a days she is only 10. Just turned 10. I am worried about her. Going to ponder tonite Thank you everyone

Comment

Little ones seem to be sprouting harmones earlier and earlier. It is difficult to explain to them that these emotions are normal and we have all had the same feelings eventhough we were born when Lincoln was president. (LOL) Just hang in there with her gramma and all will be well. We will all pray.
                Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
                Terry

Comment

Keep in mind silk isn't washable and isn't very compatible
                  with cottons. There are beautiful cotton prints available.
                  Cottons will wash and wear the best for a lap ? Quilt.

Comment

For some reason the "love notes" quilt comes to mind. Then write a little note of encouragement put in envelopes for her to open one a day.

As a school counselor for many years this is the age that little girls begin to be mean to each other. Check out what is going on with friends. Bullying can include being left out and may be at the root of the problem. Sensitive loving children often suffer a lot. Love and hugs to her.
                    Connie

Our lives are like quilts – bits and pieces, joy and sorrow, stitched with love.

Comment

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. lightwriter you might have something there, never really thought about that happening She is seeing a counselor hopefullly we will find out... I am making a quilt and covering a journal with the same material. want to get it done fast so i am putting together a rail fence with colorful colors

Comment

I want to second the bullying comment. My dd was bullied in 4th grade and we fought back. I went to the principal who happened to be a friend so it was contained. But I can't imagine how hard it is for them if they don't have a lot of support from adults who are aware of what is happening.
                        Good luck with your quilt and to your gd.

Comment

You could use minkee and that would be soft but not silk. It is easy to quilt but can make a mess while cutting. I like to use it on the back of my quilts for babies and teens.

Comment

Although my daughter didn't go through bullying, I did go through episodes of her spiralling out of control when she was 15. I did have to have her admitted twice to a psychiatric facility due to self destructive behaviors. This broke my heart but I know love from you and all family members will help her heal and perhaps open up to someone. I feel your pain but keep your head up and remember better days are in front of you. I'm praying for you and all concerned. Your GD is getting the help she needs......koodles to your family for seeing she needs professional help.
                            :icon_rolleyes:

Comment

Working...
                            X