new to quilting. confused on terms.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new to quilting. confused on terms.

Hi, I am new to quilting. Have been doing my homework and understand ( sort of) the terms of Jelly rolls, layer cakes, fat quarters etc. However, what is a junior jelly roll? I understand that it is less fabric however, when comparing the full jelly roll to junior what does that mean in size? Baby quilt vs lap quilt? Thanks.

Re: new to quilting. confused on terms.

A full jelly roll has 42 strips. A jr. about 21. A jelly roll is just under 3 yd of fabric. You'll need two plus background fabric to make a good size quilt. A Jr. for what its worth would probably just be to give you some variety. I've never bought one. A layer cake is 4 charm packs but they are not cut up. A layer cake is about the same yardage as a jelly roll. A charm pack is about 3/4 a yd of material. This will help you if you are trying to price out a quilt based on yardage. Eventhough you are paying premium for the yardage in precuts, you don't have to spend the labor cutting and it make s it really easy. And faster. It takes me a good full day to cut a quilt from yardage.
    success is walking from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiam
    Terry of NC

Comment

Jelly roll is 40 strips and a junior is 20. Jelly roll is alos a trademark of Moda, other manufacturers call them roly poly, strips, and some other names I can't think of right now.
      K is for Karen 😊​ Albuquerque, NM..................
      Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
      T - is it TRUE?
      H - is it HELPFUL?
      I - is it INSPIRING?
      N - is it NECESSARY?
      K - is it KIND?

Comment

Fat Quarter - 18" x 22" rectangle of fabric (yields 1/4 yard in a more useable piece than 9" x 42");

Charm Squares- 5" pre-cut squares usually in a collection of 40+ coordinating fabrics; total average yardage yield is approximately 1 1/8 yards

Jelly Rolls - 2 1/2" pre-cut strips, cut the width of the fabric (WOF), from selvage to selvage. Jelly Rolls are sold in sets of 40 strips from a coordinating fabric line; total yardage yield is approximately 2 3/4+ yards

Layer Cakes - 10" x 10" pre-cut squares, usually in packages of 40 fabrics from a coordinating line of fabrics; total yardage yield is approximately 2 3/4+ yards

Fat Rolls - 5" wide pre-cut strips x width of fabric from selvage to selvage. These rolls are fabric strips from a coordinating line of fabric, typically 40 strips; total yardage yield is approximately 5 1/2+ yards

Turnovers - 6" pre-cut triangles of 40 fabrics from a coordinating line; total yardage yield is approximately 1 yard

Sweet rolls - 1 1/2" pre-cut strips cut the width of the fabric from selvage to selvage. These are 40 strips from a coordinating fabric line; total yardage yield is approximately 1 3/4 yards

Also....

The standard charm pack has 42 pieces of 5 inch fabric.
        1 – Baby quilt

2 – Crib size quilt

3 – Lap quilt

5 – Twin quilt

8 – Queen quilt

A standard layer cake has 42 pieces of 10 inch fabric.

1 – Twin quilt

2 – Queen quilt

A jelly roll has 40 pieces of 2.5 inch strips of fabric.

1 – Lap/Twin quilt

2 – Queen quilt

A quilt made from a fat quarter bundle all depends on the size of the bundle. One bundle can make anything from a full size quilt to a king size quilt. A fat quarter bundle is 18 x 22″ cut of fabric which equals a quarter yard.

I’m also including the finished sizes of quilts or bedspreads. Each size should be taken with grain of salt:

Baby = 36′” x 54″

Crib = 45″ x 60″

Twin = 63″ x 87″

Double = 78″ x 87″

Queen= 84″ x 92″

King = 100″ x 92″
        Sherri

"Don't let someone else's ugly spoil your beautiful. " Thanks, Bubby!!!!!!

Comment

I have used Jr jelly rolls to make childrens quilts. If you sew them together row to row you will have a quilt that is about 40" by 40" - perfect child size.
          Debbie

Comment

Working...
          X