Quilt as a bedspread or shams?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quilt as a bedspread or shams?

Hi all. I'm still new to the quilting thing so please excuse all my questions. What I would like to know is, when quilters make quilts , do they make them as bedspreads? Or just a covering with no thought as to covering the pillow.
    As some of you may know, I am making a quilt for my 13 yr old great nephew. It will be a twin size XL. I've completed the blocks, but now I'm wondering, do I make a sham? Or a bedspread or just the quilt itself? This is my first full size quilt so I am not sure what to do.... What would you do?

Re: Quilt as a bedspread or shams?

I made a quilt for a dear young lady who was headed off to college. I made it 68 x 94 and since I had a little extra fabric I made a sham for a throw pillow. She had already picked out her bedspread which I had seen so I matched the colors. There are charts on the internet that show what sizes to make if you just want a covering versus covering the pillows and drop size. Good luck!
    :icon_happy:

sigpic

Comment

It's entirely up to you. I make most of my quilts to cover the top of the bed and the sides of the mattress. I do not pull our quilts up over the pillows. Shams area nice touch if you have enough fabric. I think you would need to find out how his quilt will be used. Will it be folded at the end of the bed on top of a bedspread, or does it need to just cover the mattress or longer/wider for a spread.
      sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Originally posted by Saqqara View Post
        Hi all. I'm still new to the quilting thing so please excuse all my questions. What I would like to know is, when quilters make quilts , do they make them as bedspreads? Or just a covering with no thought as to covering the pillow.
        As some of you may know, I am making a quilt for my 13 yr old great nephew. It will be a twin size XL. I've completed the blocks, but now I'm wondering, do I make a sham? Or a bedspread or just the quilt itself? This is my first full size quilt so I am not sure what to do.... What would you do?
        It depends on how much of the fabric I have.

Comment

I don't specifically make the quilt to cover my pillows. I do often times make matching pillowcases though. If you sear for "1 million pillowcase challenge" you will find lots of patterns.

Here is one link
          http://www.allpeoplequilt.com/millio...lowcase_15.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by quiltingaway View Post
            I don't specifically make the quilt to cover my pillows. I do often times make matching pillowcases though. If you sear for "1 million pillowcase challenge" you will find lots of patterns.

Here is one link
            http://www.allpeoplequilt.com/millio...lowcase_15.pdf
            Actually, this is a good idea. I wasn't keen about making a sham for a boy, but a pillow case is a cool idea!

Comment

If you have enough fabric, making two or three pillowcases might be a good idea, different colors out of the quilt. Pillowcases can get washed a lot, and he would have some variety.
              I went hog wild over those nifty burrito pillowcases and made a bunch of them.
              (Hmmm.... I think I want to make some more....)

Comment

It depends on the function of the quilt.......mostly I make them as blankets, so they wouldn't cover the pillows, but each bed has a quilt that serves as the bedspread, so it is made long enough to cover the pillows. For a teen boy at college, I would make it big enough for the bed with some hand over to cover the sheets, but more as a comforter. Then I would make pillow cases to match. Mostly, they don't make their beds at college, but it would look nice when he does.

Comment

I think the pillow cases are a great idea for a boy.
                  Cindy

Comment

I like to make pillowcases to match the quilts I make for my guest room, because I use them as bedspreads and change them with the Seasons. I do the same for the Christmas quilts I make for all of my bedrooms, I have either shams or pillowcases for them. If I am giving the quilt as a gift, I don't though.

Comment

I would opt for a pillow case if you have extra fabric -- Jenny (and others) have a great magic pillow case tutorial.

As for the quilt -- if you make it long enough to cover the pillows, do you think the young man will make his bed nice and neat enough to actually cover and tuck as it should be?

And if he has a bunk bed ... forget it -- it's hard to "make the bed" of a bunk bed as it is (especially if up a side is up against a wall) with a regular size covering; extra fabric will only make it worse.
                      Blessings, DramaMama

"May your bobbin always be full!"

Massdrop Refer-A-Friend link: :icon_woohoo:
                      http://link.massdrop.com/54bd7c22291...of0ePjsfeAaf4b

Comment

I make pillow shams( not pillow cases) to go with bed sized quilts. i usually have scraps to combine with a solid or blender to make them.
                        "Never stop believing that fighting for what is right is worth it"
                        Hillary Clinton

Comment

Working...
                        X