I NEED HELP!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I NEED HELP!!

Hello fellow quilters! I'm new to the forum, and relatively new to quilting...have been quilting now for a little over one year. I have made quilts for all my grandchildren, children, and friends grandchildren. Almost all have been made by following Jenny's tutorials. Here comes the question- I want to make a quilt that I don't have a pattern or tutorial for, and I am so lost! First of all, I am severely mathematically challenged, to the point that the mere mention of math makes strange , anxious things happen in my brain. The blocks I am wanting to make look so simple, yet I am frustrated in figuring out what sizes to cut my pieces. I am hoping that if I explain, maybe someone will be able to direct me. Oh how I wish Jenny could do a tutorial on this one, as I know she would think of ways to make it so easy. Well, the block is basically an anvil block, that has the pieces changed around in order to make sort of a star in a star/diamonds pattern. I have read that half square triangles need to be 7/8" larger, and this pattern is 2 different sizes of HSTs, plus regular squares. My husband, who knows math but not quilting, has tried to help me, but I just don't get how to figure it out myself. If I do manage to get this right, this one will be MY quilt! (I have never made one for myself yet.) Ok, the quilt ends up being made from 2 different blocks - one block that is 4 HSTs which makes a diamond shape. The next block is an 8 point star in a square, with its center made up of a 4-patch. I don't care what size they end up finishing...hopefully 12" , but I'll take what I can get. Sorry to have such a long and probably dumb question. I am so dependant on Jenny's tutorials, and designing my own is very frustrating! Thanks for any help and advice you can give.

Re: I NEED HELP!!

I don't know if this will help, but I draw my designs on graph paper using each square as a 5 inch block. Hope this helps.

Comment

A pic or drawing may help someone to visualize what exactly you want.
      Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
      sigpic

Comment

Is there a pic you can post? I bet someone on here can tell you exactly how to make it if you have a photo. The star block can be made with jelly roll strips or with charm squares. Or yardage. Make sure you do some practice blocks from scraps.
        4-patches are easy. Say you want a 5" finished block. Allowing for 1/4 inch seams on each side of the little patch, they would be cut at 3". So four 3" squares makes a 5" four-patch.

Comment

I'm not really sure what you need, but..... When I am working eith squares, and HSYPT's, thus is what I fo.

Determine the size of the squares,,,say five inches finished,,...5.5 inches unfinished. That means your HST's must be the same suze.

If you are making the HST's the traditional way, cut your squares at least six inched....forget thst 7/8inches measurement... Once your HST's are made, dimple trim them down to 5.5inches....they will finish at five inched, and match up eith your squares..

I hope thus helps...

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Comment

sawtooth.jpg Is this the pattern you want? It's called the sawtooth star.

Comment

sawtooth.jpg Is this the pattern you want? It's called the sawtooth star. The center could be a 4 patch instead of a solid square.

Comment

Maybe you should grab some scraps and try sewing a few test blocks. Also, the half and quarter square ruler from Fons and Porter can help you to cut the triangles from strips of several sizes in pairs, and you won't have to do the 7/8 maths. I'm between projects right now (kinda, I've started 3 more...lol) and I could help you in PMs if you'd like.

Comment

Sandy,
                  This is a good idea. What you are saying is purposely make the HSTs a bit too big and cut them down to fit. Right ?
                  Originally posted by easyquilts View Post
                  I'm not really sure what you need, but..... When I am working eith squares, and HSYPT's, thus is what I fo.

Determine the size of the squares,,,say five inches finished,,...5.5 inches unfinished. That means your HST's must be the same suze.

If you are making the HST's the traditional way, cut your squares at least six inched....forget thst 7/8inches measurement... Once your HST's are made, dimple trim them down to 5.5inches....they will finish at five inched, and match up eith your squares..

I hope thus helps...

Comment

Yes, Sandy is reminding us that common sense should prevail when cutting squares for HSTs. The charts tell us to cut our original squares 7/8" larger than the desired unfinished HST size. That is because 7/8" is the solution you get when applying the geometry formula that lets us compute the sides of right triangles. But why do you want to do that? Rounding up to 1" larger makes much more sense unless you enjoy fussing over 1/8" differences. When our quilting rulers are designed for ease of use in 1/4" increments. I'm on Team Sandy with this. Make it easier on yourself and cut bigger so you can trim.

Comment

It's not a dumb question, but there are so many star blocks out there it's hard to tell what you mean.

https://www.google.com/search?q=star...OIDrMQ_AUIBygC

Pick anyone. lol
                      🌺 Lorie

Comment

Sandy's suggestion makes great sense and keeps things much simpler.

When I started quilting the 2 hardest things for me to figure out were how to calculate the amount of yardage needed and determining the fabrics I wanted to use in a quilt.

I'll try to explain in a way that hopefully will help you. It's hard for me to explain but isn't as hard to do as it sounds. For example if you need 20 blocks that will finish at 4 1/2" then you would cut your blocks 5" square to account for your 1/4" seam line. On average fabric will be about 40" (could be more but I always calculate on the short side to be safe.) 40" divided by 5 gives you 8 blocks. You need a total of 20 blocks and need to cut 12 more. So 2 times 8 will give you sixteen and you would need another 4 blocks. 5" x 3 = 15" total. A half a yard of fabric is 18" so the 15" would give you 3 more inches left over. Plus you will have some fabric leftover because you would cut 4 in the final row instead of 8. I've learned through the years to get more fabric than I actually need just in case I miscut fabric (need a 2 1/2" strip and cut 2" by mistake.) Plus fabric needs to be straightened as you are cutting and there is a little loss there too. If you prewash your fabric there will be some shrinkage.

I hope this makes sense and is helpful to you.

Comment

I always figure WOF at 40", too. And I round up yardage purchases to the next 1/2 or 1/4 yard, depending on the size of strips/blocks I'm cutting.

Comment

Originally posted by SisterDi View Post
                            I always figure WOF at 40", too. And I round up yardage purchases to the next 1/2 or 1/4 yard, depending on the size of strips/blocks I'm cutting.
                            It leaves room for error and extra fabric should I choose to do a scrappy binding. I enjoy making scrap quilts so the leftover fabric will eventually work it's way into a scrap quilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Midge View Post
                              Yes, Sandy is reminding us that common sense should prevail when cutting squares for HSTs. The charts tell us to cut our original squares 7/8" larger than the desired unfinished HST size. That is because 7/8" is the solution you get when applying the geometry formula that lets us compute the sides of right triangles. But why do you want to do that? Rounding up to 1" larger makes much more sense unless you enjoy fussing over 1/8" differences. When our quilting rulers are designed for ease of use in 1/4" increments. I'm on Team Sandy with this. Make it easier on yourself and cut bigger so you can trim.
                              Good advice about cutting squares larger when making half square triangles.

PS
                              Sorry for the double post earlier, sometimes posts just jump up on their own before I am finished writing..

Comment

Working...
                              X