Help with 3 dudes blocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with 3 dudes blocks

I have pieced the blocks for the 3 dudes quilt from the Rob and Jenny tutorial and almost ready to sew together. However, some of the blocks are a bit larger and others. How do you square up these blocks before sewing together? Is this in a Block issue? Thanks for your help!

Re: Help with 3 dudes blocks

Being a bit more careful with cutting, and making sure each seam allowance is exact will insure all blocks are the same size.

Comment

So happy yours turned out well. I still need help from someone who has experienced having to trim down these blocks for whatever reason. Unfortunately I used strips by Northcott that had a big elbow in the middle of the strips. While I tried to work around this issue, a few blocks got a bit wonky. I have all blocks sewn and cut, so no starting over at this point. Thanks for help.

Comment

I use a large square ruler. Be careful you aren't trimming off your points, if there are any.
        Make sure you are using one seam to line up on, for all the blocks, and trim them all the same way. If you trim off different edges for each block, you could make them not go together nicely. I learned this the hard way.
        Example:

20160504_072833.jpg

The line on the ruler lines up with the diagonal on the block, BUT if you look at the seams, I had to pick one to line up on to square up all the blocks the same, so making sure the small patch was at the top right sides, I focused on the seam where the gray print meets the turquoise one, at the 4.5" mark. Then I trimmed the right, and top sides, turned the block around, and lined up the diagonal seam with the one on the ruler again, made sure the bottom corner was at the 6" mark, and trimmed the two remaning sides. The key is to do it the same way to each block. I took the picture to refer back to, because I work 50+ hrs a week, and can't do all my blocks at once.

I hope this helps
        Last edited by PrettyCurious; June 12, 2016, 11:31 AM.
        Pieced By Me! :icon_wave:

Pre-cut Yardage Chart

Comment

Also, find your smallest block and cut them all that size. That will save you some grief. I can't wait to see it. Not many posted one to show and tell.
          🌺 Lorie

Comment

IMG_2410.jpgI did what Lorie said...trimmed them all down to the smallest block...I was very much a newbie when I made this one...
            Carol

Sewing Mends The Soul ~ Author Unknown

Comment

Thanks to all. I ordered a larger square ruler a few days ago and hopefully will have early this week and i am sure that will help. There is one point that ends up smaller than the others in a couple of blocks. This is the layout my niece selected. Also her choice of colors.IMG_6899.JPG

Comment

Lovely!!!
                and yep, yer gonna want to line up that ruler like I pictured in my post above. Pick the most noticable point on the block, usualy where the fabrics contrast, line up your ruler there, and trim accordingly. That will give you the best chance of having your stripes meet the ones in the adjoining block. Then trim all the blocks that same way. Take a picture in case you get lost along the way.

I now have a 6.5" sq , 10" sq, 12.5" sq, 15" sq, and even a 20.5" square ruler. I know some "been quilting 30 years" person will come along and tell me I don't need them all, but no one has volunteered to come over and square up my blocks for me yet, so I still believe I do.
                Pieced By Me! :icon_wave:

Pre-cut Yardage Chart

Comment

I love the colors and I am not usually a pink person , but that is beautiful ! Makes me want to make a pink one , which line in northcutt did u use?

Comment

You don't say what size your blocks are. When I made the 3 Dudes quilt pattern, I used 3 strips 2.5" wide. One has to stitch a very scant 1/4" in order for them to turn out 6.5" One must square each 6.5" section as you go along, then square the 12.5" block when it's assembled.Quilts - June 2014 006.jpgQuilts - June 2014 007.jpg This was my 3 Dudes baby quilt. I did not use sashing.

Comment

Originally posted by Anitamae56 View Post
                      I love the colors and I am not usually a pink person , but that is beautiful ! Makes me want to make a pink one , which line in northcutt did u use?
                      My niece loves pink and black. The strips are Artisan Spirit Glimmer. They also come in other colors. They have gold mixed in with the pinks making them more "glamorous" according to my niece, but still nice and soft. Unfortunately, I cannot recommend these strips. As mentioned above, they are not cut correctly and have a big "elbow" in the middle of each strip. Also, I was not able to get 3 blocks from each strip set (as stated in the tutorial) even though i starched and pressed each strip prior to sewing. The third block is 1.5 inches too short. So I have had to use two packages of these strips. I never ever had this problem with Moda jelly rolls.

Comment

My blocks are mostly 9.5 inches.

Comment

Originally posted by kgirlmom View Post
                          So happy yours turned out well. I still need help from someone who has experienced having to trim down these blocks for whatever reason. Unfortunately I used strips by Northcott that had a big elbow in the middle of the strips. While I tried to work around this issue, a few blocks got a bit wonky. I have all blocks sewn and cut, so no starting over at this point. Thanks for help.
                          Please report this to Northcott. Your difficulties should concern them, and if we all speak up, maybe the manufacturers will continue to research ways to make the precuts more accurate.

Comment

Amazon just pinged! my 12.5 sq. ruler will be delivered tomorrow! This project has given me reason to invest in several new notions.

Comment

This is a close up of one of the strips with shimmer. They also have a line of pinks without shimmer.IMG_6900.JPG

Comment

Working...
                              X