108" wide Quilt Backing question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

108" wide Quilt Backing question

Has anyone used 108 in wide "Quilt backing" fabric to cut up for a quilt top?
    I have had trouble getting the 14 yards needed for a top I want to make. I find the perfect color, and then find that 14 yards isn't available. If the backing is the same quality, then 5 yards of 108 w QB fabric would be an option for me.
    Pieced By Me! :icon_wave:

Pre-cut Yardage Chart

Re: 108" wide Quilt Backing question

I use backings all the time for my quilts - almost always buy my white or tan solids or tone-on-tones that way....
    Tenacity: The quality or fact of being very determined; determination.

Comment

It will be fine. I have even purchased wide back remnants to use for piecing. To make it easier to handle, you can always cut it in half if you need to.

Comment

I've never used backing fabric for a quilt top, but it is the same quality so it won't affect your top. Good idea.

Comment

No reason why you can't. I have used wide for piecing.
          Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

I, too, have used QB material for my quilt piecing. In many instances, can be less expensive.

Comment

One if my guild members...a longarner...suggested that were a wide fabrics are goid for bindings.... Makes sense...

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Comment

I, too, have cut up wide backing to piece for a top. I like Cindirae's idea of buying neutrals this way.
                If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Comment

I know many quilters cut up the 108" backings to piece with, or they use leftovers. Sometimes backings aren't the same quality as yardage.
                  sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Unless you buy the Stonehenge or Moda or other name brand fabrics in wide width, I find the backings to be lighter in weight than regular piecing cottons. It works well for backing, but may not match your other piecing fabrics in weight and quality. That doesn't stop me from using the trimmings for sashings or binding or even linings on bags.

Comment

Every year when I went to Lancaster PA for the quilt show and shopping with quilting pals I would pick up as much wide backing as I could find. I like small prints in creams to dark beiges for most quilt backs and all leftover fabric would be used for piecing. Zook's and Sauders were the best shops to find the wide backing at good prices. Haven't gone there the past few years and I think Sauders is closed now but Zook's is still going strong.

Comment

Why not? Jean does have a point but it probably doesn't matter that much
                        Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
                        Terry

Comment

Originally posted by MayinJerset View Post
                          Every year when I went to Lancaster PA for the quilt show and shopping with quilting pals I would pick up as much wide backing as I could find. I like small prints in creams to dark beiges for most quilt backs and all leftover fabric would be used for piecing. Zook's and Sauders were the best shops to find the wide backing at good prices. Haven't gone there the past few years and I think Sauders is closed now but Zook's is still going strong.
                          Yes, Zook's is still going strong; Sauders and Zook's merged, and now they have an online store. Right now they are running a 20% sale on all fabric, including the fabric that is usually sold at $3.99 and $4.99 a yard.
                          If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Comment

Good questions, thanks all for asking. Never thought about that.

Comment

Marshall Dry Goods has lots of wide backing at good prices
                              Dolores :lol::icon_heh:

Comment

Working...
                              X