X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5 pointed stars... a question

I am making my daughter this quilt:

katesstar.jpg

My daughters wants 5 point stars on the border. I purchased this paper piecing star, but got to thinking.... which would be easier to do, the paper pieced star or a bunch of applique stars? They will all be a solid color/fabric.

What do ya'll think?

Re: 5 pointed stars... a question

Wow - that is nice. I think either would like nice - it's what you are more comfortable doing.

Comment

Thank you. I now have it together with the cream backing. Funny thing, when I laid it out, I realized that daughter chose the same colors as the rug!

I am a novice at both applique and paper piecing, so either way will be a learning process.

Comment

I don't know which is easier. I also don't know where to find a 5 star pattern for applique, but I'm sure someone could direct me.

Comment

I think an applique would be much easier. To get a pattern - you can draw one yourself, or you could do a query and print one off, or you could find one in a child's coloring book, or story book, and trace it. You can buy template plastic from M*, trace your pattern onto the plastic, and then either trace onto fabric and cut with scissors, or lay on fabric and cut around the template with a rotary cutter (not always easy with odd shaped templates). Depending on how you will applique, you may need to add 1/4" all around your template to allow for a seam.
          If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Comment

There's also a template for making 5 pointed stars: https://www.phillipsfiberart.com/sho...l-box-gemstar/

Comment

Both seem really ambitious to me. The star is lovely and would be enough for my skill level. Do what ever you feel is possible for your skill level. I can't applique at all
              Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
              Terry

Comment

Do you have a PC computer? If so, go into Word and open a document. Go to Insert, Shapes. You'll find a lovely, perfect 5 pointed star there in the Stars and Banner area that you can use. Size it to exactly by using the height and width box. You might consider printing a few different sizes for your applique so that you can sprinkle them about on your border. I think your quilt is going to be brilliant!

Comment

If you are thinking of machine appliqueing the stars I think they would be much easier that the paper pieced ones. Of course I love machine appliqueing and and not really comfortable with paper piecing yet.
                  Quilters never die, they just go batts.

Comment

Working...
                  X