Question about FMQ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about FMQ

Ok, I am trying to fmq on off white fabric on top and black on the back. I have off white thread on top and black in bobbin. Will I always be able to see the little dots of black on top or do I need to adjust my tension. I don't want to waist time changing tension if it isn't going to help. All the stitches look fine on front and back except for the tiny black bobbin thread showing. Thanks!!

Re: Question about FMQ

I would try loosening the top tension just a bit to see if that helps. The looser tension should allow the bobbin thread to pull the top thread down in to the quilt sandwich a bit more.
    ***Kathy***

Comment

I think I have it about as loose as it will go. I'll try some again. Thanks.

Comment

What worked for me was switching to a lower thread weight (thinner?) in the bobbin. It fixed the problem of the bottom thread pulling up to the top. I could use a regular tension which kept the stitches looking nice.

Comment

I use the same colour thread top and bobbin. It means I will have a contrasting thread colour on one side depending on which side I want the thread to blend in with more. Often, a soft light grey will blend with any colour fabric so can be used top and bottom. You may want to check the balance between your machine speed and your moving the quilt particularly if you're getting eyelashes as well.

Comment

I FMQ a lot on my home sewing machine. I love the Bottom Line 60 wt. thread sold by Superior Threads. I use the ecru color. It is very fine and will barely show up on a dark fabric like black. It truly blends well with every color. It is a strong thread and because it is finer more thread is wound on the bobbin which means that the bobbin lasts longer. I highly recommend this.

Comment

I am using my Juki. Really the first time for me to fmq . I have done straight line with my walking foot. I am using Superior thread but not sure what . It came with the fmq rulers I bought thru Massdrop.
              It is looking better. Thanks everyone.

Comment

Yeah you need to fiddle with your tension. I don't know what kind of machine you have, but on my Bernina, there's a screw on the bobbin holder that you can turn slightly and it will tighten the bottom tension. I find I have to loosen the top considerably and then try to use the same color thread in the bottom and the top. It's hard to get the tension perfect when you're FMQing. Sometimes, if you go to fast the tension gets buggy, or around tight corners it can get buggy too.

You could try a 40wt thread on top and a 50wt on the bottom as well. My machine tends to work best when bobbin and top thread are the same weight, but I have used 40wt on a number of quilts.
                🍄 Heather🍄

Comment

Humm. I've always used the same color top and bottom. I lik e having the quilting show up although when I use white (usually) on a white backing, I think it looks cool but I also like the white on Navy, pink , flowers, etc. I like white thread!!
                  Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
                  Terry

Comment

For me, it eliminates much frustration to use matching thread top and bottom. And it makes really neat designs on the back!

On my Bernina, the hook thingy on the bobbin cover that latches the bobbin in place has a hole in the tip of it. If you can't get your tension even no matter how much you adjust, sometimes threading the bobbin thread through that hole will make the difference.

When I first started, I didn't really want my stitching to show on the back. But I have progressed to where I like seeing what I have done. I think both Angela Walters and Judi Madsen also match thread, although I am nowhere near their capabilities.

On a Quatrefoil for my brother, I used a solid navy backing. The front was blue batiks with dark blue and light blue solids. I chose a blue variegated thread and on a whim decided to also use it in the bobbin. Wow--that turned out great! Like a whole cloth on the back.
                    The trail is the thing----Louis L'Amour

Comment

It is almost unpossible to avoid dots, when you are using two different colors. I learned in several craftsy classes, it is better to use matching threads and I made the same experience...
                      Find me on Instagram @auntie_uli

Comment

Working...
                      X