Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rhombus help, please

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Rhombus help, please

    Hi. I am making the rhombus for my son's wedding. Have watched the tut and downloaded the 1 page pdf that was linked there. I don't see the pattern in a Block issue, and I'm wondering if there is another spot for a more complete pattern. The video, as far as i could see, didn't mention the size of the side borders, whether or not there are top and bottom borders, and which fabric the binding is cut from.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

    #2
    Re: Rhombus help, please

    In the comments with the Youtube video tutorial, there is the following from MSQC regarding top and bottom borders: "once you have all of the rows put together, you will want to line your ruler up with the points that will be facing towards the right. Go 1/4" above the seam line and cut to make a straight line. Once you have that done you will add another 2-1/2" black piece of fabric to the top of that to make it a wider border."

    When I made this quilt, each tumbling block finished at 9" wide. Jenny's quilt has 8 tumbling blocks in the top row. 9x8=72. Her quilt measures 80" wide so the side borders should be 4" wide finished.

    Jenny's quilt is bound with the coral color she used for the tops of the tumbling blocks. I hope this info helps.
    *~* Myrna *~*
    *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*

    Comment


      #3
      Re: Rhombus help, please

      Myrna...that helped tremendously! I never thought to look in comments. Thank you!

      Comment


        #4
        Re: Rhombus help, please

        The pattern is in the Mod Block volume 2 magazine. I bought this magazine specifically for this pattern. Good luck!
        :icon_rolleyes:

        Comment


          #5
          Re: Rhombus help, please

          Originally posted by Jean Marie View Post
          The pattern is in the Mod Block volume 2 magazine. I bought this magazine specifically for this pattern. Good luck!
          I have it too, and it is definitely not the same pattern, although I think I like the one in Block better than the tutorial. The one in Mod Block does use the rhombus template to make the design, but it is not edge to edge design and there is a lot of negative space in the pattern. Method is also different.

          Comment


            #6
            Re: Rhombus help, please

            When you made the quilt top the vertical seams how did you press them? Open or to the side.

            Comment


              #7
              Re: Rhombus help, please

              Originally posted by Midge View Post
              I have it too, and it is definitely not the same pattern, although I think I like the one in Block better than the tutorial. The one in Mod Block does use the rhombus template to make the design, but it is not edge to edge design and there is a lot of negative space in the pattern. Method is also different.
              Interesting. I made mine from the tutorial. I'll have to get this issue and see what the difference is. I really like this pattern and plan on making another one. Here it is so far.
              IMG_1342.JPG

              sigpic

              Comment


                #8
                Re: Rhombus help, please

                Originally posted by Marilynrose View Post
                When you made the quilt top the vertical seams how did you press them? Open or to the side.
                I pressed my vertical seams open, and I usually avoid pressing seams open if at all possible.
                sigpic

                Comment


                  #9
                  Re: Rhombus help, please

                  Originally posted by Vickie1965 View Post
                  Interesting. I made mine from the tutorial. I'll have to get this issue and see what the difference is. I really like this pattern and plan on making another one. Here it is so far.
                  [ATTACH=CONFIG]132732[/ATTACH]

                  Your quilt top is fantastic. Love those colors. They really allow for that 3-d look.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Re: Rhombus help, please

                    Originally posted by nanatotwo View Post
                    Hi. I am making the rhombus for my son's wedding. Have watched the tut and downloaded the 1 page pdf that was linked there. I don't see the pattern in a Block issue, and I'm wondering if there is another spot for a more complete pattern. The video, as far as i could see, didn't mention the size of the side borders, whether or not there are top and bottom borders, and which fabric the binding is cut from.
                    Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.
                    This pattern is in the lastest Block magazine. Page 41
                    sigpic

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Re: Rhombus help, please

                      Originally posted by Vickie1965 View Post
                      Interesting. I made mine from the tutorial. I'll have to get this issue and see what the difference is. I really like this pattern and plan on making another one. Here it is so far.
                      [ATTACH=CONFIG]132732[/ATTACH]

                      Vickie, this turned out terrific! I love the bold contrasts of the colors you chose. The pattern in Mod Block looks freeform with a lot of negative space. I don't think I should post a photo because of copyright. It gives an MC Escher effect. It's too confusing to explain, because the design fools the eye. That's what appealed to me. I didn't want to use the six colors shown in the Block example, and I had to order from M* because I'm using grunge for this project and the local quilt shop didn't have the shades I wanted. So....the order came on Saturday! Yay! Here are the colors I think I am using. But for this design I am definitely using a design wall approach.

                      rhombus fabric pull.jpg

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X