Grey Fabric

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grey Fabric

I am drawing up an interesting quilt project for my soon to be 8 year old boy. I will need various shades of grey. I've been looking around but not seeing a ton in that colorway. Any lines or groups of fabric you can point me to? I'm combining two ideas I've found online:
    I'm not quite sure yet what color the Deathstar will be and what color the background strips will be. If they are both grey that will just all blend together, won't it?
    Also, another not related but related question. MSQC did a tutorial once with a strip pieced quilt (I'm 95% sure it was MSQC). They sewed strips end to end then sewed the long side. I can picture it in my head but not sure how to describe it or what it's called. I wanted to try the idea for this main quilt but can't find it.
    13615015763_443827e89b.jpgec717003aca6762a4668054b0d8a986d.jpg

Re: Grey Fabric

To answer your second question, I think you are asking about a jelly roll quilt.
    Jelly Roll Race! A Quilt Top in Less Than an Hour! | Always Great, Always Free Quilting Tutorials

Carrie
    Carrie

I cut it twice and it was still too short!

Comment

thank you! That is the one. haha - I had no idea how to describe it. Thanks so much for finding it for me!
      I would love to find a jelly roll for the main quilt. That would save a ton of time. I finally found one that would be perfect ... and it's not sold anywhere. Super sad face :-( Puttin' on the Ritz Grey Jelly Roll
      Last edited by Longstocking; June 2, 2016, 04:49 PM.

Comment

I just got a JR last week from MSQC called Behind the Scenes. It looks like it would be perfect for you. Has black and white, grays, and kind of a mushroom color brownish gray--sounds weird but it is a great color and goes nicely with the rest of the roll, of course! I would add that the whites in this JR are more on the cream side rather than white white.

Comment

the Stonehenge lines have several collections of grays; I may not remember the names correctly but I think one is Everest, and Winter. MSQC carries this fabric. This texture may not work for you, but the colors might.

Comment

That looks like a fun project!

https://www.etsy.com/listing/2459449...rch_query=grey jelly roll&ref=sr_gallery_9

https://www.etsy.com/listing/2732575...rch_query=grey jelly roll&ref=sr_gallery_21
            🌺 Lorie

Comment

Connecting Threads has a few nice grays. I just bought a couple and a layer cake - they may even have a JR. They also have a nice "silver".

One thing to note is that "Grey" is also correctly spelled "Gray". If you don't find many "Greys" re-type in "Gray". I was looking on a few sites last week for gray- grey and found that some sites have one or the other, while some sites will direct you to either.

Comment

So, I'm switching gears a little bit. My husband had an idea to use red/orange fabric for the main background. I guess there's a planet behind the death star that's red/orange. So now I'm on the hunt for a red/orange jelly roll. I found a perfect one but I like to research and find the best deal. I can't figure out if the fabric I found has an actual name or if it's exclusive to this website. I hate shipping costs. $14 for jelly roll and $7 to ship. That's 20 strips of fabric at $1.25 a strip. Haha - I overthink things but I really hesitate to pay that much. I really need at least 2 rolls because I need 40 strips to make a big enough quilt for a growing boy. What to do, that is the question.
                Basic Colors - Orange Jelly Roll - 10 Fabrics, 20 Total Strips

Comment

Why not mix an orange and grey to tone it down a bit. I love orange, but it might look great with the grey.
                  🌺 Lorie

Comment

Please tell me I'm not the only one who lets out an audible squeal when something works out? Lol - I'm so excited how my starships turned out. Not perfect but I quizzed my 3 year old daughter and she got 100% right I'm worried I should have made them bigger but I'll decide once I have the rest of the quilt assembled.
                    image.jpeg

Comment

Wow thanks for the link there Longstocking! They have some good prices, even tho their JR have only 20 pcs. But nice selection. Just what I need another place to spend my money LOL. Has anybody shoppted from there before, it is called jellyrollfabric.net ?

Comment

I've never shopped there before. Just a random Google find. I ordered a few rolls so I'll let you know

Comment

Working...
                        X