Small project to be quilted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Small project to be quilted

Hi , I have finished two round Dresden plate table runners, measures 22x22" and sad to say I do not know how to quilt. I don't know any one person locally that does quilting. Since these are gifts I'd like to have them quilted professionally by MSQC. Do they use longarm on small projects?? Has anyone else had small projects quilted?
    sigpicLinda :icon_wave:

Re: Small project to be quilted

I'm not sure if M* can quilt something that small on their longarms, you would have to call them to ask. That is the only way that they quilt things. You might try asking at a local quilt shop. They may know someone that does quilting in your area.
    K is for Karen 😊​..................
    Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Comment

I'll bet you could quilt these yourself, if you have a walking foot. I bought my first walking foot online. Make a scrap fabric sandwich and get a roll of 1" wide painters tape. Follow this tutorial and see if you can. tallgrass prairie studio: Straight Line Quilting...Hints and Tips
      Quilters never die, they just go batts.

Comment

Yes, you could quilt on your domestic machine. Long armers could also do this quilting. I am not sure MO * does anything besides quilts, but you could call and ask.

Comment

Originally posted by tesspug View Post
          I'll bet you could quilt these yourself, if you have a walking foot. I bought my first walking foot online. Make a scrap fabric sandwich and get a roll of 1" wide painters tape. Follow this tutorial and see if you can. tallgrass prairie studio: Straight Line Quilting...Hints and Tips
          Thank you, I have a walking foot and been practicing; however, I have not used the painter's tape. I will watch the video. I would love to do these myself but I feel so intimidated.

Comment

this is an excellent tip, my WF came with a small metal attachment that I can use as a guide , it slides at the back of then WF but I really enjoyed this tutorial, taping looks like it would work.
            Sew sew sew.
            So? So? So?

Comment

It's meandering quilting that I had in mind. I don't think I would have any trouble with the straight quilting but I prefer the stipple or meandering effect. Thank you for the tutorial.

Comment

I can suggest watching Angela Walters on YouTube. More than anything, she has helped me to loosen up and find my own flow with FMQ without worrying about mistakes. FMQ really isn't that hard, but it can be if you focus on minute details because that will make you freeze and make herky jerky movements that make ugly stitches. She also has Craftsy classes and books.

https://youtu.be/BDd2Xd7Ubvo

A really basic stippling tutorial I like is from MadeByMarzipan on YouTube. Just search for it, you'll find it. That might be all you need if you can just let yourself believe it's easy to do! Make a test swatch and just go for it, I'll bet you surprise yourself. Nobody is going to be nitpicking every stitch, it is the over all effect that is important.

Comment

It is absolutely possible to longarm small projects. I do it all the time for placemats, table runners, and wall hangings (I have a couple out on Quilts.by.Me). The top is just floated over the loaded backing and batting. Care must be taken basting the edges to avoid distortion. The quilting does turn out nice.

However, small projects are great to practice free motion, and would be more cost effective. Many longarm quilters charge a minimum fee for quilting. If you try to free motion yourself, just remember to baste well! It can be really fun.

Comment

Working...
                  X