Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice for Machine Quilting

Hello Everyone!
    I am hoping you are willing to give some suggestions as to how to quilt this throw. I have made it in our niece's college colors and now need to decide how to quilt it. For me this is one of the hardest parts due to my lack of experience. So far I have only made simple block quilts, nothing with sashing or involved blocks. Any suggestions are appreciated, tia.

-Wendy
    Becky's Illini Quilt.jpg

Re: Advice for Machine Quilting

You know, I am pretty new to FMQ too but I found that I really enjoyed making little flowers. Find something you like to make and do that. You could just do grids which would be the fastest. And with the angles in your quilt straight line quilting would look nice.
    Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
    Terry

Comment

I think this quilt would lend itself very well to cross hatching. It will be a lot of twisting & turning of the sandwich, but the straight line stitching would go well with this pattern & probably be easier for you as a beginner.

Comment

If this is your first time I find doing loops are easy and fast. I have done some meandering, but I find I like the loops better. Just practice on a scrap first and decide which one you like best.

Comment

Cross hatch

Sewing lines (straight, slightly wiggly, small curly q's, etc.) down and across (Leah Day has a nice tutorial on quilting with just lines running down and across a quilt)

Or tie it!
          Blessings, DramaMama

"May your bobbin always be full!"

Massdrop Refer-A-Friend link: :icon_woohoo:
          http://link.massdrop.com/54bd7c22291...of0ePjsfeAaf4b

Comment

Originally posted by JCY View Post
            I think this quilt would lend itself very well to cross hatching. It will be a lot of twisting & turning of the sandwich, but the straight line stitching would go well with this pattern & probably be easier for you as a beginner.
            I just found a tutorial for cross hatching. tallgrass prairie studio: Straight Line Quilting...Hints and Tips
            Quilters never die, they just go batts.

Comment

Originally posted by tesspug View Post
              I just found a tutorial for cross hatching. tallgrass prairie studio: Straight Line Quilting...Hints and Tips
              It so funny that you posted the link to tall grass, I looked at this very tutorial yesterday! lol I had a chance to read a couple of replies then came home from work and set about learning what cross hatching is, yes folks, I am that new.

Thank you all for your replies, I really appreciate them. At first I thought I would do something different on the sashing, but the more I have read I may have changed my mind. I watched a long class given by Quilt Expressions about machine quilting, the lady giving the class had suggested really thinking about what the quilt will be used for, what designs will compliment the quilt, and if you really want to put tons of time into something which may not be fully appreciated. She also said to stick with what you are good at in the beginning. All of that really made sense to me and helped to narrow the field a bit. I think I am going to try the cross hatching, I love the idea of the swirls, but I think I need to practice that quite a bit before I can be sure I can do it. I have practiced on sandwich squares, but I don't quite have the right set up yet. Once I have a nice drop down table for TJ (the Janome) I think I will better be able to handle swirls and hopefully free motion. I just love the idea of free motion!
              I can't help but wonder if it would be easier to learn quilting on tablerunners first...... I do know I am going to practice a couple of techniques before beginning the quilt, if you have more ideas, go ahead and throw them out there. You know sewing, things are always subject to change Next I am going to check out the Leah Day tutorials. Thanks again everyone!

Comment

If you are free motion quilting, start in the center and work you way outwards. Also premark you quilt lines with chalk or dissappearing marker. Don't feel like you have to follow exactly, but it helps to keep the "flow".

If you are going to straight stitch, I'd recommend a walking foot if you have one. DONT start in the middle, rather, try and stitch in the same direction (ie. don't rotate the quilt and work you way back in the opposite direction, but start from the same side of the quilt each time.

Either way, I feel spray basting will help keep your layers together. When in doubt, take the quilt out of the machine, smooth and press the layers and re-start.

Take time to relax.
                Design. Make. Collaborate.
                www.QuiltFusion.com

Comment

Thanks for all of the tips and different ideas everyone! I do have a walking foot and I do have some quilting designs on the machine as well, although I really need to sit down and look at those designs and stitch them out so I know how big they actually are. I am leaning toward the cross hatch, I really don't want to have to hoop the whole thing, that takes forever! lol By hooping I am referring to the preset quilting patterns which are done in a 6 x 9 hoop, it doesn't stretch out the material if you're wondering, I tried it out when I first got the machine. I made a small sampler quilt and that was a fun project!
                  Thanks again everyone, I'll send on pics once it's completed, although that may be a while

Comment

Working...
                  X