X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marta
    replied
    Re: Flannel Layer Cakes

I have made two baby quits using flannel charm squares, one was a rag quilt. The rag I used half inch seams, the other Quarter inch. I made a Jenny's Double slice quilt from a Moda layer cake also quarter inch seams. No pre washing. All have been used , machine washed and dried quit a lot. All still in good shape. For my daughter I made a large throw from yardage. It has also had lots of use and still looks great I bought one flannel jelly roll, was not Moda, and it was not good, strips were not cut straight and hard to work with. I just received two Little Ruby layer cakes and I plan on making a rag quilt for ME. I love the feel of good flannel

Leave a comment:

• tsladaritz
    replied

I have some flannel in my stash for a quilt and since I am in Texas I had no plans to use batting- just flannel on both sides. I figured that would be plenty warm for a lap quilt. Interested to know how yours goes.

Leave a comment:

• easyquilts
    replied

I use flannel to back most if my baby quilts... Never prewash, and never have any problems... I always was my quilts before gifting, so I see the results....

Leave a comment:

• Tracy14
    replied

I am in the middle of making a quilt out of flannel atm. Its coming along really good. I am going to use cotton fabric for the backing so it makes it a bit more stable

Leave a comment:

• jjkaiser
    replied

Originally posted by Snip Snip View Post
    jjkaiser, are you using pearl cotton and are you using a colored thread to do your big stitch quilting? This sounds very intriguing, very pretty.
    Yes I am using perle cotton #8 that I got at Jo Ann's, this one I am only using black thread. But I have a stash of 12 different colors of Presencia perle to use on my next quilt, still WIP, but the back will be all white so the colored thread should make a cool design. If you haven't tried big stitch quilting you should! It is really fun and easy!

Leave a comment:

• Cathy F
    replied

I use alot of flannel for my backings and do not pre-wash any of them but I make sure I buy a quality flannel as mentioned above. I've never had a problem .

Leave a comment:

• Sylvia H
    replied

I made a jelly roll quilt with Woolies flannel from M*. Did 1/4" seams. It has been washed several times. There was only the minimal shrinkage that you would get with a regular cotton quilt. I also made one with Woolies layer cake - but it hasn't been washed yet.

Leave a comment:

• Snip Snip
    replied

jjkaiser, are you using pearl cotton and are you using a colored thread to do your big stitch quilting? This sounds very intriguing, very pretty.

Leave a comment:

• jjkaiser
    replied

I am hand quilting a quilt right now that I made with Woolies Flannel by Maywood Studios. The front and back is the Woolies Flannel and I used Dreampuff poly batting for a chunky look. I had the same question you did about 1/4 inch vs 1/2 inch seams so I called the mfg in Portland. I was told it is the top of the line flannel, in their words "the Cadillac of flannel"--will "barely shrink at all" will not ravel and 1/4" is fine.

So far so good. The fabric is pretty luxurious for flannel and quite heavy. It will really be a warm quilt. Once I basted "the beast" together I suddenly understood why people tie instead of quilt them!! You would not be able to hand quilt this with regular quilting thread, your needles would break often and it would be almost impossible going the all those layers. I cannot machine quilt so I am hq using the big stitch method. If you have not tried that, you should, because it goes fast and is really fun! It's looking pretty good so far and I am about half done.

I did not pre wash (used precuts) so I will take before and after measurements cause I will wash it once the quilting and binding is done. It seems like very nice high quality flannel. I would add that because it is somewhat heavier than using 100% cotton, be careful choosing a pattern, the simpler the better. I think if you do alot of piecing in your block you would just make the process harder so stick to something simple like plain squares or hst. I think if you are quilting it yourself on your sewing machine, the more seams you have with bulky fabric, the harder it is (Idk, I am only guessing on that). And this is probably TMI, sorry to get carried away!

Leave a comment:

• seaturtle
    replied

I love working with flannel. As long as you are using quality flannel, you shouldn't have any trouble with it. I sew with a 1/4 seam and I haven't had any problems.

Leave a comment:

• DramaMama
    replied

Don't have any tips.

However, Connecting Threads is having sale on their precuts -- I saw they had some flannel, fat quarters, 10" squares, etc. ...

in case you wanted to experiment with some less expensive sample packs.

Leave a comment:

• dmarie
    started a topic Flannel Layer Cakes

Flannel Layer Cakes

I've never quilted with flannel but see some layer cakes in flannel that I'm interested in. But I've read about how flannel shrinks, alot more than regular cotton, it frays, use larger seams, etc.

Anyone quilt with flannel layer cakes from MSQC? Is it more difficult to work with? Everyone says pre-wash, but you can't with pre-cuts.

Any tips for working with it?
Working...
X