Small house, small spaces, big quilt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Small house, small spaces, big quilt

I am finally finished all the blocks for my DD's Radio Way quilt and am ready to lay out the blocks in order. This will easily be a full size quilt! My problem is that I don't have a space to lay the blocks out. I have a design wall but it isn't wide and long enough for all the blocks. If I use my living room, which is small, I could move all my furniture flat up against the walls and have my husband be the cat herder ! I'd rather not put them on the floor because I don't think I'd see the layout all that well, but I will if I have to.

I would appreciate any other suggestions. Keep in mind, small condo, small rooms, my bed is queen sized, but the blocks will be too big to complete lay across the bed, even though in the end it is a full size quilt.

Thanks!
    [I]-Lynn :icon_hi:

Surround yourself with those who see the greatness within you.

Re: Small house, small spaces, big quilt

Check with your library or church to see if they have a conference room you can borrow and then label your stacks in rows when you finish. Hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by KarenC View Post
      Check with your library or church to see if they have a conference room you can borrow and then label your stacks in rows when you finish. Hope this helps.
      Yep, I used a conference table in my mom's church once; also the conference room at my office. And your LQS might have a spot you could use too.

Comment

Do you have a yard that you could lay them out on? You could just leave it out there long enough to get the design that you want then take a photo to refer back to. I do that sometimes and even though I stack the blocks up and label them, I still like the photo because I can be pretty good and second guessing myself if the order is right.
        sigpicLynne in central Illinois

Jeremiah 29:11

Comment

I work on the floor or on our bed, but we have a king bed. Snap a picture to make sure things are the way you want them before you sew.
          sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Originally posted by Bubby View Post
            I work on the floor or on our bed, but we have a king bed. Snap a picture to make sure things are the way you want them before you sew.
            I've done the same thing. Used the top of my king bed and then after I got the design the way I wanted it pinned a little square of paper to each block listing the row number and block number, i.e. Row 1/#1. Stacked each row at a 45 degree angle to the stack under it and took to the sewing machine. Worked like a charm.
            Gerri

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Comment

I also have a small house and a small design wall. I either use my bed or do it in sections on the design wall.

Comment

Below is what I am considering for my situation; I do not have nor want a "sewing room" -- I use my dining room to sew/quilt and it is the first room that is seen when entering our home. So, I like to keep it tidy and presentable -- even when I'm working on a project.

Though I have plenty of floor and wall space for a twin quilt, I am working on something a bit larger and wanting something on the "wall" so I can keep it up longer and off the floor (away from pets).

Do you have a large closet door frame? A large window? What about the bathroom shower curtain? Look for ANY large "wall" space in your home that you could use.

I have a large picture window with a rolling bamboo blind on it; those blinds, of course, have a small built-in valance of same material at the top.

I plan to get some 3M picture hanging adhesive (the velcro/interlocking ones vs. the sticky ones) and adhere a few across the top of my blind (under the valance); and do the same on the back of my design wall (vinyl table cloth w/ the fleecy/batting like stuff on the back). If there is not enough bamboo surface to adhere it to, I will sew it on (weaving thread around the bamboo pieces).

This way I can keep it off the floor on a larger space, remove the tablecloth when I need to (fold, roll & store it), but when it's time to hang it, my 3M's will be under the valance waiting for me/

I like this better than exposed 3M removable stickies on my wall.

If this works (I plan to do it this month), I will take pictures and post.
                Blessings, DramaMama

"May your bobbin always be full!"

Massdrop Refer-A-Friend link: :icon_woohoo:
                http://link.massdrop.com/54bd7c22291...of0ePjsfeAaf4b

Comment

I use two cheap $8 each folding cardboard cutting mats ( obviously NOT for use with rotary cutters!) on a queen bed to lay out blocks. You can slide one board under the other to make it wider or narrower. I've managed to layout big quilts using these.

Comment

My LQS has a design wall you can use and a drop in sewing day once a week -- maybe yours does too?

Comment

I wonder where I put my folding cutting boards? Thanks for the reminder on those, Jean.
                      Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Comment

Do you have an extra bathroom so you can hang on a rod?
                        🌺 Lorie

Comment

Originally posted by Grandma G View Post
                          I've done the same thing. Used the top of my king bed and then after I got the design the way I wanted it pinned a little square of paper to each block listing the row number and block number, i.e. Row 1/#1. Stacked each row at a 45 degree angle to the stack under it and took to the sewing machine. Worked like a charm.
                          This is my technique too.

I don't always put my blocks side by side, I sometimes let them overlap. This way I can lay out more rows on a small space. Most of the times, my only design surface is FIL twin sized bed, and just for a couple of hours.

I had a wicked plan of putting a courtain rod in front of DH's bookcases that occupy 2 1/2 walls in our bedroom at my in-laws, so I could temporarely hang some "design courtain". But the look I got from DH when I suggested it!

Comment

I use my queen size bed. Sometimes have to overlap a little but I can get a good idea how it will look.

Comment

I do have a dedicated space for sewing but its not large enough for a design wall , so I use the guest room bed and I mark my rows with those inexpensive plastic things you wrap embroidery thread around. The bed is always covered in thread.

Comment

Working...
                              X